Wildcat Regatta

Hi all Aussie F16 sailors,

time to get serious and drag those 16' cats with kites out of the shed for the first big regatta to kick of the season.

The Wildcat regatta is on at Forster N.S.W. 29,30 Sept.& 1st Oct. The biggest mixed cat regatta in OZ often draws 100 or more entries. Big screen for watching footy finals, with lots of lively banter between codes and states it's a big weekend on and off the water.

First chance to race against the new Formula Catamarans Australia Blade F16 and find out how fast it is , or just see it in the flesh .

Hope to see you lurkers there, come over and say hello on the beach, I only bite on the race course .

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just back from HUGE long weekend at the Wildcat Regatta Forster. Aprox 70 cats attended in all, biggest fleets where Hobie 16’s, A’s and Taipans. I was the only F16 racing for the first time on the Formula Catamarans Australia Blade, in the fast mixed fleet consisting of F18’s, Cat Rig Taipans, Tornado, Super Taipan & Nacra5.8. All classes sailed windward and return courses around the same buoys, keeping your eyes open was important, for other boats and the shallow water and weed. Two days, 3 races where sailed in gusty winds of aprox 25 kts. coming off the hills, not the normal wind direction according to the locals. One day 3 races sailed in max of 15 kts. from the ocean side.

The high lights where in order, leading the fleet round the first mark in race 4, after holding out the Super Taipan all the way up the first beat after starting lowest on the line. Placing first over the line after battling with the Nacra Infusion F18 for 2 laps in race 5. Having my first capsizes in race 6 with gusts estimated to 30 kts.? But most of all placing Second in the mixed division on Yardstick, with the F16 of 71 and F18 of 70 it was only the Super Taipan and Tornado that gave me time, so most races my over the line placing was much the same as my Yardstick result, with mainly Fourths and a First and Second.

F18 Nacra Infusion won the division, finishing every race near the front, full report and results will follow when they are sent through. The music till 2am Sat/Sun night and the 12 hour plus drive home, means it's time to retire.

Regards Gary.

• 3 weeks later...

Originally posted by Lick the Knife:

Hi All,

Just back from HUGE long weekend at the Wildcat Regatta Forster. Aprox 70 cats attended in all, biggest fleets where Hobie 16’s, A’s and Taipans. I was the only F16 racing for the first time on the Formula Catamarans Australia Blade, in the fast mixed fleet consisting of F18’s, Cat Rig Taipans, Tornado, Super Taipan & Nacra5.8. All classes sailed windward and return courses around the same buoys, keeping your eyes open was important, for other boats and the shallow water and weed. Two days, 3 races where sailed in gusty winds of aprox 25 kts. coming off the hills, not the normal wind direction according to the locals. One day 3 races sailed in max of 15 kts. from the ocean side.

The high lights where in order, leading the fleet round the first mark in race 4, after holding out the Super Taipan all the way up the first beat after starting lowest on the line. Placing first over the line after battling with the Nacra Infusion F18 for 2 laps in race 5. Having my first capsizes in race 6 with gusts estimated to 30 kts.? But most of all placing Second in the mixed division on Yardstick, with the F16 of 71 and F18 of 70 it was only the Super Taipan and Tornado that gave me time, so most races my over the line placing was much the same as my Yardstick result, with mainly Fourths and a First and Second.

F18 Nacra Infusion won the division, finishing every race near the front, full report and results will follow when they are sent through. The music till 2am Sat/Sun night and the 12 hour plus drive home, means it's time to retire.

Regards Gary.

Congrats Garry on making it a great weekend.

All of the GLSC are hugely appreciative of the effort that was made by all the competitors to make the weekend a great weekend. - Suggestions are always valued so if you've got a suggestion we'd love to hear it.

It's a cat regatta and we're there for the competitors and we'll do what. suits.

An outstanding regatta and the numbers were great. This year we had over 70 boats (78) and that was without co-hosting a national or state title.

Pic's are in the mail.

Thanks again.

GLSC- In pursuit of pleasure with wind.

Archived