Trap Wires & Tangles?

Guest Chook

Guest Chook

Is there a tried and true method of packing trap wires so they are are easy to unravel.

Currently I coil them up in sets of two but cannot avoid them tangling when they "spring" out as I unravel them.

Any advise appreciated,

Cheers,

Chookie

N5.0 #1880 "Hawaii 5.0"

Just one of those things I'll have to live with obviously! Nothing like a good wrestle with trap lines to make the serenity of sailing a worthwhile and a wholely appreciated experience!

Cheers

Chookie

N5.0 #1880 "Hawaii 5.0" Perth WA

If your really lucky, you can do as we do, just leave the boat in the club with the mast up. Our record for arriving at club => fully rigged, is 15 minutes, and we are still working on getting it down a bit smile.gif

I am currently working on a device that will secure all wires, it mounts to the bottom of the mast and holds all the traps and shrouds plus the forestay and any other crap you want it to.

all wires are held in place with shock cord so they stay tight and straight(good for wire life longevity)will look cool and will facilitate super fast rigging.

p.s. my crew and I can rig ours from the trailer in 15 mins smile.gif

have a nice day !

Sounds GOOD, you will have to post some pics when your done!.

Last Sunday, it took us nearly an hour to rig the boat from the trailor, as it was sub 5 deg temp, we spent most of our time bitching about the cold biggrin.gif

• 1 year later...
Guest skitz_moo_moo

some people im my club with thjere taipans have a little zipper bag thing that zips down the dismond wires and holds the stays and trap wires iside and ya hrdly ever have to de rig the wires.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

My two bobs worth..

Just bought a Nacra 5.8. The previous owner had all traps, ropes and stays neatly secured along the mast with a velcro tape that I had not seen before. It has the furry stuff on one side, and the J hook suff on the other, so you just wrap in around the mast a couple of times, overlapping itself, a presto, all secure. There are about 5 of them running down the mast, and they kept all wires etc in place for our 900km delivery journey, and they come off in seconds.

Don't know where one could buy such things, maybe at a sewing shop or some where.

Claws

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In my VERY limited experience - i wish to throw this out there in regards to leaving trap and stay wires on the mast.

I have just recently purchased a windrush. The guy used to keep all his wires wrapped around the mast.....now there are some beautiful pits in the mast where the s/steel fittings and the nicropress fitting have rubbed against it. So, make sure you pad where the fittings touch the pole. The wires even rubbed off the paint as well.

Like i said.....i know very little about it, i have just noticed that this happens when wires are wrapped around the mast with no protection.

Archived