Raise mast solo on trailer ?

$outhpaw

Hi all, I’ve been thinking of a possible way to step the mast on a 17ft cat while on the trailer by connecting the mainsheet from the trapeze wires to the top point of the mast holder on the trailer, then after lifting the mast up on to my shoulder start sheeting in and guide the mast up.

Has anyone used this method (successfully)?

I have a maricat and a careel 18. for the mari I put a line with a clip onto the main halyard shackle - when the mast is up and against the forestays I tighten it which means I can attach the shrouds at my leisure.

With the C18 the mast is much heavier - the shrouds are permanently attached so the trick is to get it at an angle so the heel fits into the base fitting (ie the mast lies over the pushpit). You then heave it up between the legs (using the foot as the anchor point) till the shrouds are tight. On my own I then have a bit of line clipped to the forestay which I hold tight while I attach the inner forestay.

What you do I think will depend on the mast foot and how it's attached. I've seen The Great Darcy attach all his shrouds/forestay on his Windrush and then heave the mast foot into place. It's baggy but up.

KO

Thanks KO, I managed to get the mast up using the halyard trick with my wife last weekend which worked ok.. Getting it down again was a bit daunting and luckily someone was walking past who grabbed a trap wire and gave assistance. (not before I had injured my back tho..) I guess I should mention that the 42kg wife 'aint to much help..

Hence my determination to get the sukker up and down with a minimum of fuss on the trailer. I grew up sailing around Sorrento where you could safely just keep a boat on the beach but you can't really do that around the Sandringham area, some idiot would just trash the boat.

So I now have to put up and bring down the mast everytime I use the boat.

If anyone has some fancy winch set up that works please let me know!

• 1 month later...

G'day $outhpaw

The EZ stepper is what your describing theres an old forum on Catsailor.com

from May 2006 called

Raising a Tiger mast?

Search for that and it has great photo's of the system

When I raised my Stingray mast solo I ran a line from the mast through the jib bridle under the boat back up through the traveller cleat back to the mast, then I could stop anytime without the mast coming down

My 14yr old daughter helps me put the Taipan 5.7 mast up. She stands on the main beam, holds the front two trap wires and leans back like water skiing. That way she counter balances the mast, you should try that first it works spot on.

[This message has been edited by madboutcats (edited 02 January 2010).]

[This message has been edited by madboutcats (edited 02 January 2010).]

to raise my mari mast I attach the forestay and one side stay, then with the foot of the mast under the main beam i walk it upright grab hold of the mast with both hands about 600mm apart and lift it up onto the mast step, oh I make sure I have the un attached stay in my hand. Once the mast is on the foot I keep some side pressure on the mast to hold it in place then get over to the side where I attach the last stay, both side stays at this time are set really lose. dropping the mast is just a reversal of this procedure. If you can lift the mast off the trailer on your own, you should be able to if balanced right lift it up when vertical on your own.

Maybe thats why its so good to own a 14, you can rig launch and sail it all on your own.

Phil

• 1 year later...

Hello $outhpaw. I am in the process of buying a small 12 volt winch of Ebay. The winch comes with a remote control with a forward and reverse. My plan is to mount the winch on the trailer and use this to help pull the mast up via the forestay on my Hobie 16. Connect the two side stays, lift the mast up th shoulder height and press the button on the remote. Will keep you posted on progress of this.

• 8 months later...
Hello $outhpaw. I am in the process of buying a small 12 volt winch of Ebay. The winch comes with a remote control with a forward and reverse. My plan is to mount the winch on the trailer and use this to help pull the mast up via the forestay on my Hobie 16. Connect the two side stays' date=' lift the mast up th shoulder height and press the button on the remote. Will keep you posted on progress of this.[/quote']

Catflaps - how did you go with this?

I tried to solo raise the mast on my Calypso 16 with no luck. Taking it down, I use a "lazy prop" (see attached) in combination with a manual winch attached near the towbar. Works well. This obviously requires another person to operate the winch. I also tie the mast foot to the mast step in case of disaster.

Perhaps with a remote-operated winch both raising and lowering would be possible?

post-23678-13778265471264_thumb.jpg

forget about winches and mainsheets to lift your mast if you can get it into a slightly raised position so you can put the mast step pin in by using a step ladder or some kinda pole behind the boat then just shove it forward that last bit and have a line ready to hold it there then jump off and secure the forstay ..........the more times you do it the easier it becomes...........also easier on the ground (no wheels even) because the stepladder gets it higher

Brett

My system has a 2m pole that goes into the mount on the rear of my trailer (where the short rear pole goes) that gives me shoulder height to start with when raising ............and lowering after connecting holding line and releasing forstay is even easier

if you post your email i can send some pics to make it all much clearer

cheers Darryl

Archived