how many cats?

fantom

I actually tracked KCC AVERAGE nos of boats in 1999 to 2002 whilst i was race secretary and published at our AGM...so here is a historical perspective for whats its worth:-

Year Weekly Average

1999/00 15 (17 in Club Championship Series)

2000/01 17 (19 " " " )

2001/02 20 (22 " " " )

For Regattas

1999/00 26

2000/01 23

2001/00 20

Interestingly the regattas had about 60% / 40% home and away boats.

Doug L

Thanks everyone ... what I am trying to do is visualise the appeal to sponsers and what they could expect from their involvement in the sport. maybe "pie in the sky" thoughts but if I don't try I will never know.

Has anyone ever tried racing with the handicap at the start of the race? ie the faster craft starting at the rear of the field so the finish is more equal?

Yeah, we used to start all the 18 footer handicap races like that. It is easy to do, with the fastest boat going when the gun goes off, and all the other boats getting a head start on that.

Some boats had 15 minutes head start, others only 30 seconds. This is the same class of boat though.

At Kurnell in the 80's we had a race that was handicap start and you were told when you could go from inside the club house. So you then had to run to your boat the was already being held by your crew in the water and go from there.

I was sailing on the Nacra 36 that day and we were off scratch, with some boats getting half an hour start on us.

Hmmmm.......we get about 10 boats each week at Bundaberg out of the following: 5 Nacra 16 Squares, 4 Hobie 16's, 1 Calypso 4.4, 1 Hobie 14 and 2 Paper Tigers. We travel to other clubs regularly - we have an organised Interclub Series which is 4 Regattas over the season at each of the 4 clubs - Tin Can Bay, Maryborough, Hervey Bay and Bundaberg. Camping at the clubhouse happens at Tin Can Bay and Bundaberg which adds to the social intercourse!

Cheers

Greg W

In hobart we are avg. 15 boats 4 nacra 5.8's 2 taipans (soon to be 3) 3 cobra's 1 hobie 18 4 maricats 3 A classes (soon to be 5) a windrush 14 and hopfully a sailor currently in qld looking to return to tassie sailing a taipan 5.7

Catsailing has really taken of this year and alot of intrest in getting into 14 foot and 16 foot cats which is good to see.

Past years has been very lean in the way of cats but the people running our club have turned things around and seems to be getting bigger by the week.

We have 4 - 5 boats who turn up every so often who aren't members yet but have been very impressed with the whole cat sailing seen, also 4 - 5 paper tigers who have raced with us recently and are looking to join in the fun so hopfully after our long christmas break there will be a few more boats to chase around the course.

Our club just returned from Bridport (north of the state) for a regatta where the northern club had 19 boats.

Mostly hobie 16's and a couple of hobie 18's.

http://bridport.catsailor.org/photos/day1/ take alook @ some great photo's of our weekend just passed.

[This message has been edited by cj (edited 08 December 2004).]

Thanks for all the replies ... as I see it there seems to be a wide variation of numbers attending club races (this is not necessarily a bad thing) I am hoping that this info from various clubs can be of benifit to us all. Please keep the numbers coming in.

By helping each other I am sure that we can help ourselves

Heres another question with a similar theme.

Of the people regularly sailing, how many are under 35?

How many under 25?

How many teenagers/juniors?

How many ladies?

For Kurnell CC we have 1 person under 25.

About 8 below 35.

We have one female skipper who attends irregularly.

Ant.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Originally posted by Greg W:

Hmmmm.......we get about 10 boats each week at Bundaberg out of the following: 5 Nacra 16 Squares, 4 Hobie 16's, 1 Calypso 4.4, 1 Hobie 14 and 2 Paper Tigers. We travel to other clubs regularly - we have an organised Interclub Series which is 4 Regattas over the season at each of the 4 clubs - Tin Can Bay, Maryborough, Hervey Bay and Bundaberg. Camping at the clubhouse happens at Tin Can Bay and Bundaberg which adds to the social intercourse!

Cheers

Greg W

Greg, is Baffle Creek SC still going?

Archived