Rebuilding Stingray

Loose Change

G'day boys and girls .... Heyyy ...where are the girls? No matter, ...I was out in the long grass the other day in the backyard where all sorts of things lurk and hide and found a Stingray. Generally it's in not bad a condition, glass hulls, ply decks. It's the decks that are the issue, I pulled one off that was badly delaminating and found that the deck beams underneath are delaminating as well, no matter they came out as well. It was at this point that I had (I thought) a brilliant idea. What could done to a Stingray to modernise it and bring it into the 21st century, remembering it already had one mid life crisis when they went to the taller rig. What about raising the beams to the top of the deck and mabe giving it a vertical bow stem. I can hear some here now already saying that I just designed a Nacra 5.8, but seriously, it could be a fun thing. Wadda ya all reckon? .. regards Harry

Harry,

modernise it like what the mossies are doing, A very nice looking sail called a kite. Noticed when an older style boat comes along with a kite alot of ppl stand up and take notice of it.

Putting one on my old wooden mossie, why not try it on the stingray.

It'll be an eye opener.

william

nswmossie.com 1635

ripped the deck off and pulled all the deck beams out and noticed what appeared to be corrosion around the ends of the beams where they are glassed into the hull. A bit of poking and prodding soon established that indeed it was corrosion and quite advanced, not surprising given the age of the boat. The main beam and the forward beam are easy to replace as they are only round section but the rear beam is an extrusion, as luck would have it it's the same section as my Mari 4.8 but I'm not going to chop that up.

Which leads me to my question does anyone have an old broken Mari mast that doesn't have holes in it for at least 2.5m that I can use to replace the corroded one? I'm in Nowra and am willing to pay a fair price for it based on condition. I tried the Yacht Shop at Illawarra Yacht Club and they don't keep any mast sections in stock even though they sell all the fittings to put on them, funny I thought. Where does one buy a mast these days as I always used to buy them from Alcan Aluminium Centres, but they have disappeared. Must be really hard for anyone building a boat these days. And, it's no good saying "Give Ross a ring at BCC, he'll fix you up" as I don't think that Aus Post would post it to me. So what is the go these days with buying masts?

G'day Hood, I have indeed seen the Stingray on Ebay (Drool) very nice. I don't want to go that far, as mine is an old Mk1 and generally not worth upgrading to a Mk2. I just want to get it out on the water again. As I said in a previous post these days I have no idea where I would go to buy a mast, nobody seems to carry any stock any more.

regards ... Harry

Give Ross a call at BCC.

He freights mast's all over Australia and even over seas to Tassie.

Buy the mast direct from ross and just pay the freight. Either way you are paying freight, either to BCC or to your local mast supplier who just passes on the freight costs he's had to absorb in the cost of the item.

Best of luck with your project.

Hi Harry,

Did you want a whole mast?, or just a shorter length?

As Goose say's, Ross at BCC has one of the best stock of various mast profiles in OZ.

I thought you only wanted enough for a rear beam, and William may have a section.

Whatever it is,give Ross a call 07 32714944.

pete wink.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 22 March 2007).]

hi Pete,

it is only a 2.5 metre length that I am after for this particlar project. I was just lamenting that what used to be so simple afew years ago is now so bloody difficult. As I had said it must be very frustrating for anyone that is building their own boat these days as there seems to be no easy way of finding out who has what. I used to buy my masts from Alcan, they always had stock of every section but since Capral have taken them over they have no floor stock of anything. ...Harry

Archived