price/availability of Mari's

QB2

I had a Maricat (no 176?) at Lake Macquarie in the early 80's. I am now looking at possibly getting back into, a Maricat preferably, or a 14' cat just to get back on the water. What are prices like for up to 15 year old mari's and where would you source one in reasonable condition? Are there any Queensland mari's sailed competitvely?

QB2

Hi QB2

I bought a Mari in VGC a few months ago for $1400, though i see them range from $600 upwards - guess it depends the state of the mari and what is included. Surprisingly i thought i was being clever in buying in Winter and prices would be low, though they don't cary much.

Sources that i used all the time to search was Ebay and The Trading Post - there was a regular influx of cats for sale, i checked about 6 out before i bought

Have Fun !!

Cat

The price will be dependant on the amount and condition of gear the boat comes with.

I just purchased a VVGC 4.3 with a new set of Kevin Flower sails with Ripstop Dacron zipper jib($1800), a new tramp ($250), and new rigging ($300), for over $2k.

If you scroll back through this web site you will see the national championship sloop boat "Lams" for sale for $2600. It was still available a week ago

If I want to sail solo, its a mari, or other 14 footer for ease of handling setup/ dismantling etc. Trying to sail an 18 footer solo is too much effort unless its an A class and they are very expensive. If I could get the kids off the computer and on the water I would look at a bigger cat. I could rebuild the QB in the backyard but have learnt the lesson about ply hulls and Qld heat n humidity. Whatever I do decide to go for its got to be fibreglass.

I called my first mari 'Lemon', cos it was slow, leaked like a sieve and broke plenty of bits but I had a lot of fun and memorable sailing on lake macquarie and off Townsville.

What sail numbers equate to a rough guide on construction/build years for mari's?

Qb2

The Maricats do not go on age by sail number, for what ever reason. I is a little silly, but that is how it is.

When you get a new main sail, you get a new number, and I think they are now up to 4112.

If you are looking at an older boat with the coloured sails, try to get one that is in the 3000's as that is one of the later ones.

Archived