Leaky Hull

Spectre

Have leak in one hull and it's not the bungs (replaced complete fitting plus heaps of silicon).

Read an old thread that suggested the front beam could be the culprit.

Before performing surgery I need to query this. On my Mk1 the beam bolts seem to be accessible from the storage compartment. If this is the case then any leaking would go into the storage compartment and not the hull.

Am I missing something here??

hi,

on older boats it is more likely to be leaking through two places....

check along trampoline groove in each hull...it cracks under bolt rope where you can't see it and flexes as you apply pressure to tramp etc..the fix other than major fibreglassing is to replace flat aluminium plate with caravan annex track with some resin placed in groove and cracks to seal....the other place where you cannot see is the deck to hull join which is hidden with the black rubber ....this is caused by insufficient glue along joint during manufacture...can also be hastened along by using a jib as well flexing the bows together causing join to flex and finally opening up in some places...hope this helps track down your leaks...silastic is only a short term solution...if hull to deck join is opening up you will require major surgery to maintain hull integrity as this failure will proceed to enlargen...if on outide of hulls can work its way back to chainplate with it's failure being catastrophic...

cheers dave

First find the leak, remove the rudder assembly, blow into the hull as if blowing up a baloon, 6.8 deep breaths, another body now wanders around the hull listening for the leak (you will hear it easily). Another common leak in older boats is the transoms, around the pintles (caused by corrosion and swelling of the internal alloy mounting plate). When you find the leak we will be able to help with the best fix. Good luck

Thanks to all.

Have found problem. Deck separation for about 600mm. Shouldn't be hard to re-affix with the range of industrial adhesives available today.

I found it necessary to clamp off the breather tube in order to retain hull pressure long enough to find the problem.

Once again, thanks.

Originally posted by knobblyoldjimbo:

well done, whereabouts is the separation?

Port hull under trampoline from the rear beam forward for about 600mm.

From advice from boat builder and fibre glass guru I used slow setting araldite and several clamps after drying, cleaning with acetone, and sanding.

Rubber is going back on using silicone.

Be back in the water tomorrow if a calm day.

Archived