Humungusly flogged

Scuttlebutt

There are a few photos of him trapping. will bring with me to Mannering Park. He did do well, only broke one trap fitting. He got into the front pac a few times but his lack of experience on these boats coupled with the fact he was sailing the oldest boat there. Number 2, I was sailing No. 11 so about the same age. meant he kept getting pushed back in the fleet.

Well done Mark for flogging the fat boy. As he would comment to others, "Micheal Coalcliffe, loooossser". I also had the pleasure of flogging him at the tanilba bay christmas party, Mick n me went for a sail. I flogged him all the way up to taylors beach then flogged him across the bay to Bundarbar the flogged him all the way back home, even with stoppping 4 times to allow him to catch up, got lonely out in front all the time. He must be getting old. Poor Mick.

[This message has been edited by korwich (edited 09 January 2009).]

You are gratious in defeat Pickle, (something we don't often get to see, mick getting defeated I mean), however as you pointed out on the day, we mainly sailed reaches and a sloop should have it over a cat on a reach anyway, that said if I can beat the champ I'm not going to let a chance go by to thump my chest.

See you on da water!

Phil

Hey Jimbo

I'm just a knuckle dragger on this topic. But from personal observation I have found that a sloop will go as fast as cat upwind but will not normally point as high as cat. In fact can probably go faster if he lays off more and uses that extra speed, means the sloop may have to sail further but does the distance in a quicker time.

If one watches merly he basically keeps up with the cats on the works, or at least keeps em within catching distance, then uses his reaching speed down wind to pull away from them. I'm always getting intructed by the good sailors (eg pedro) to lay off, get boat speed, allow the jib to draw correctly, etc.

There are 2 setups for our jib blocks, boats like mine and scottys that have the job blocks on the hull edge and others like Tony Zaras and John Merle that have the blocks attached to the tramp. It will be interesting to see how pointed reply goes at the nationals as Rodney has moved his blocks from the hulls to the tramp recently. The tramp arrangement may seem to allow higher pointing ability, but closes the slot. The hull arrangement opens the slot but you have trouble getting your inside telltales to flow when really pointing. When and if Mick sails Super Sloop it will be a good indication of what works best. For me the jury is still out on it.

Cheers Phil

[This message has been edited by korwich (edited 16 January 2009).]

• 2 weeks later...

I got flogged by the champion of the world Mr Darren Bundock. Peter Breaden sailed the best he has for years to beat me on the calssic. The compertition was the best its been in 21 years and even a girl (Caroline Bundys Mrs) beat me in 2 races. She sailed like a true profesional. Well Koonawarra in a couple of weeks and I expect to be Turbo charged with a jib to give the Windies a run for their money.

Archived