comments for an F14 association???

The Constitution of the "International Formula 14’ (F14) Catamaran Association".

1.) Definitions

In this constitution the following definitions shall apply, unless contrary to the meaning in context.

(a) "I.F.C.A." shall mean the "International Formula 14’ (f14) catamaran Association" Which is the state, the national, and the international, controlling body of all aspects of the "I.F.C.A." the "class rules" and the "Regulations".

(b) "Class." shall mean all classes and types of sailing craft whose racing/sailing administration is accepted as being under the authority of this constitution.

© I.S.A.F. shall mean the "International Sailing Federation".

(d) "A.G.M." shall mean annual general meeting.

(e) "G.M." shall mean General meeting

(f) Wherever it appears as "affiliate", it shall also mean affiliate/associate

(g) An F14 catamaran shall be a sailing craft consisting of two identical hulls, which “float” on the water due only to the buoyancy of their “hulls”

2.) Affiliation

The I.F.C.A. may, from time to time, become affiliated/associated with other bodies, i.e. I.S.A.F, and, from time to time, accept the affiliation of other bodies with the I.F.C.A. Any such affiliations shall never alter the independence of the I.F.C.A. in the relationship of the I.F.C.A. with it's constitution, class rules, and regulations. The government of the I.F.C.A. shall rest only with it's elected officers through their administration of the "class" by the provisions of it's, (the I.F.C.A.), constitution, rules and regulations.

If a conflict occurs between the I.F.C.A. and any such affiliate, then the administration of the constitution, rules, and regulations of the I.F.C.A. by its elected officers, in the government of the I.F.C, A. on behalf of the members of the I.F.C.A. shall always take precedent over that of any affiliate of the I.F.C.A.

3.) The objectives of the "International Formula 14’ (F14)

Catamaran Association"

(a) To administer the class for the benefit of it’s

members.

(b) To foster the growth of the class.

© To actively encourage all multi hull associations.

(d) To consolidate membership and to avoid fragmentation of the class, thereby promoting better sailing, social skills, and administration, within the class.

(e) To achieve a regular income for the administration of the I.F.C.A.

(f) To accept advertising and sponsorship for the I.F.C.A./class, as a matter of course, the control of which shall rest with the executive of the I.F.C.A. and only with individual members by the written approval from the executive committee of the I.F.C.A. to that effect.

(g) To conduct regular sailing championships under the authority of it's, "constitution, regulations, and class rules", for the benefit of its members and affiliate's.

(h) To plan and execute social functions for members, and/or affiliate's, of the class.

(I) To retain it's independent integrity, and work towards, and to maintaining, full international recognition.

4.) Membership

The "International Formula 14’ (F14) Catamaran Association" shall consist of members of the following category.

(a) Life membership.

At any A.G.M. the council may elect to the status of "Life Member", by the carrying of a motion to that effect, any individual who is deemed, by the membership, to have made an outstanding contribution to the advancement of sailing, and/or the "Class/I.F.C.A.". "Life Member" shall be honorary and thereby attract no annual membership/subscription fee.

(b) Member.

Subject to the approval of the I.F.C.A. any person may be admitted to the status of "member", on the payment of such subscription(s) as shall be determined annually at the A.G.M.

(b) Associate member.

Subject to the approval of the I.F.C.A. and upon receipt of such annual subscription as shall be determined annually at the A.G.M, any person/organization may be admitted to the status of “associate member”.

5.) Voting powers of the members of the I.F.C.A.

(a) Honorary "Life members", shall be entitled to exercise one vote on all matters at, A.G.M's, G.M's, and at any appropriate committee meeting's of which they are members of.

(b) "Members", shall be entitled to exercise one vote on all matters at, A.G.M's, G.M's, and at any appropriate committee meeting's of which they are members of.

© Associate members, have no voting rights, but are entitled to all other benefits endowed upon full members by the I.F.C.A. as though they were full members.

(d) Absent members may, at any A.G.M's G.M's or committee meetings (of which they are members of) exercise their voting rights by the use of "Proxy votes" which must be recorded accurately in the minutes when ever such proxy votes have been exercised. Any proxy votes that are to be exercised at any meeting(s), must have been presented to the secretary prior to the appropriate meeting(s), and verified as being authentic, by the secretary, before they will be accepted as a true and accurate vote. A member may vote on behalf of any absent member, if that member present, has in hand the (verified) absent members written proxy to that effect, i.e. that they allow that member present, to vote on their behalf, in all matters at that time. All proxy votes have to be in writing and bear the signature of the financial, absent member. A copy of all written, proxy authorizations shall be kept permanently on file, by the secretary, for clarification, should any disputation over their authenticity occur. All proxy votes in the hand of the secretary within seven days prior to any appropriate meeting, must be presented at that meeting by the secretary, whether authenticated or not, and if unauthenticated, then the members present must vote on their acceptance or not.

(e) To be eligible to vote at any A.G.M or G.M of the I.F.C.A. a member must be 18 years or older at the time of voting.

(f) At any meeting(s), of the executive committee of the I.F.C.A. the president has the power of veto, over any resolution or motion put forward by the executive, that he/she considers detrimental to the I.F.C.C. Any such veto, unless resolved at the executive level, must be taken to the general membership at the next G.M. or A.G.M. (which ever is applicable) for resolution by a majority vote by the financial members eligible to vote at that meeting. Until such resolution is made, that veto shall stand.

(g) Unless stated otherwise, all voting shall be carried by a majority of those members entitled to vote at that time, (whether present or by proxy).

6.) Termination of membership

(a) The executive committee of the I.F.C.A. shall have the power to terminate the membership of any member who is found, upon investigation by the executive, to have acted contrary to the provisions of the constitution of the I.F.C.A. Any member so charged, shall have those charges brought to their notice so that they (the charged member) shall have every opportunity to disprove such charges. The charge shall only be deemed proven if so decided unanimously by the executive committee. If that member is from within the executive, then they shall stand down, without voting rights, until a decision has been made regarding their future, by the remaining executive members.

7.) Finance

(a) The finances of the I.F.C.A. shall be maintained by payment of subscriptions by members, by donations, by fundraising approved by the executive, by sponsorship, by advertising, and by any other means as approved by the executive of the I.F.C.A.

(b) All finances collected on behalf of the I.F.C.A. shall be donated to the promotion of the class/ I.F.C.A. on the recommendation of the executive committee, and/or approved by a majority of votes by the financial members, whether present or by proxy vote, at a G.M. or A.G.M.

© A true and accurate record of all the financial affairs of the I.F.C, A. the collection of all finance and all expenditures, shall rest with the treasurer.

© All income of the I.F.C.A. shall be paid into a bank

account approved by the executive, in the name of the

I.F.C.A. by the treasurer.

(e) Any and all withdrawals from that bank account shall only be made by cheque.

(f) Any and all cheques drawn in the name of the I.F.C.A. shall be signed by both the president and the secretary.

8.) Subscriptions

(a) Annual subscriptions shall come into effect upon the success of a motion determining their amount at the A.G.M.

(b) Subscriptions shall fall due on the first day of September of each year.

© Members who have not become "financial" within one calendar month of it falling due may be struck from the membership.

9.) Officers of the I.F.C.A.

The Executive Committee

Officers of the executive of the I.F.C.A. shall be:

(a) President.

(b) Measurer and scrutineer.

© Secretary.

(d) Treasurer.

(e) Publicity officer.

(f) Delegates to associates/affiliates.

(1) All the above elected officers shall form the “Executive Committee" of the I.F.C.A.

(2) All officer bearers shall be elected at an A.G.M. of the I.F.C.A.

(3) Any of the above positions that for any reason cannot be filled at an A.G.M, or that may be vacated during their term, may be filled at a G.M.

(4) Nominations for any and all of the appropriate positions of the office's of the I.F.C.A. shall be accepted up to and included at an A.G.M.

(5) The terms of office for the, Treasurer,

Publicity office, and Delegates to associates/affiliates, shall be for three years, from one A.G.M. to the next appropriate A.G.M.

(6) The term of office for the President, the secretary, and for the Measurer and scrutineer shall be for five full calendar years (starting at one A.G.M. and finishing at the next appropriate A.G.M.).

(7) If for any reason the president cannot fulfill his/her designated duties for the I.F.C.A. or if he/she should resign the position whilst still in term of office, then the measurer and scrutineer shall fulfill both positions, i.e. measurer and scrutineer and president, until such time as a new president can be elected, or, the president can return to fulfill his/her required functions. To all intents and purposes, the measurer and scrutineer shall, in effect, during their term of office, be, also considered the Vice President of the I.F.C.A.

(8) If both the above offices are vacant at the same time, then an extraordinary GM shall be called to elect new officers to those positions.

(9) It may be found to be desirable by the members, at some stage, to extend or reduce the length of time of the terms of the office bearers, this may be accomplished by a vote in the majority to that effect by those members present at an A.G.M to what ever length of term that they should see fit, at that time. (Albeit that any one term shall not exceed that of a five year period).

(10) With the written approval from the executive, "assistants" to any of the members of the executive, in the fulfillment of their duties, may be appointed from within, or from outside of the general membership.

10.) The Social Committee of the I.F.C.A.

(a) Shall be responsible for organizing fund raising functions for the members and associates of the I.F.C.A.

(b) Shall be responsible for organizing non fund raising functions for members and associates of the I.F.C.A.

© Shall organize small, "conventional" fund raisings. i.e. raffles etc.

(d) Shall present to the treasurer prior to each and every meeting of the general committee, an itemized accounting of all income and expenditure.

(e) Shall, each year, prior to the A.G.M. present to the executive, a complete written record of the preceding years, social functions, with dates, costs, contacts for any bookings, agent's, caterer's, etc. etc. for the smooth transition and efficiency for the use of, by the next social committee.

11.) Meetings of the I.F.C.A.

(a) The annual general meeting of the I.F.C.A. shall be held in the month of May in each calendar year. Not less than one month's (30 days) notice shall be given to members of the date and place of that A.G.M.

(b) General meeting's (or extraordinary GM's) of the I.F.C.A. shall be called when so required.

© An extra ordinary G.M. may be called by the president at any time, or upon receipt of a request to that effect under the hand of not less than fifteen financial members of the I.F.C.A. (or a majority of financial members which ever is less) or, in the extreme case that there is no “sitting” President, and or measurer, upon notice of a request to that effect under the hand of not less than fifteen financial members of the I.F.C.A. (or a majority of financial members which ever is less). Such an extra ordinary G.M. shall be called no later than thirty days after receipt of that request, (or where there is no sitting president and or measurer, by public “notice” by the numbers of members as so required). In such cases, (excepting by members “notice” in which case the time and date will be decided by those members), the secretary shall give at least fourteen days notice to the membership of any such G.M.

12.) Financial year

(a) The financial year of the I.F.C.A. shall be the period from April the first of one year, to March the thirty first of the following year.

13.) Regulations

The regulations, although attached to the constitution, shall not be part of the constitution, but are never the less binding upon the members of the I.F.C.A. as if they were a part of the constitution.

(a) The executive of the I.F.C.A. shall have the power to frame regulations for the administration of the constitution of the I.F.C.A.

(b) Any change to the regulations, framed by the executive, in the period between A.G.M's, shall only come into effect upon the passing of a motion to that effect by a two

thirds majority of financial members eligible to vote, at the next A.G.M.

© Any change to the regulations, framed by the executive and passed by vote by the members, shall only become effective provided that they (changes to the regulations) do not alter or conflict with the constitution in word or in meaning, in any way, what so ever. (even though they may be passed by vote by the membership), If so disputed, then independent legal clarity must be obtained as to there being, or not being conflict with, or alteration to, the constitution.

14.) Amendments to the constitution

The constitution of the "International Formula 14’ (F14) Catamaran Association " cannot be changed in it's intent as a whole, it may only have amendments added to it, from time to time.

(a) The constitution shall only have amendments added at an A.G.M. on the success of a motion to that effect, by a majority of three quarters (3/4), of all the financial members of the I.F.C.A. eligible to vote at that time.

(b) Any amendment to the constitution, put forward for decision by the vote of the financial members, shall first be framed and circulated to, and in the hands of, ALL the financial members for a period of not less than eighteen months prior to it (the proposed amendment), being voted on. by all the financial members.

© Any proposed amendment, must be fully discussed and diagnosed, in its final framing, by the members at, a minimum of three G.M's, and two A.G.M's, prior to it's, (the proposed amendment), being decided by the vote of the financial members.

(d) If, for any reason, the vote does not have, at the least a ninety five percent (95%) participation, by the financial members, whether present, or, by proxy, who are eligible to vote, then that motion for amendment shall automatically fail.

15.) Class rules.

Although the rules and definitions of the "class" shall appear as a separate attachment to the constitution, and as such are not included within the constitution, it shall never the less be as binding upon members as if it were part of the constitution.

(a) It is the expressed intention to avoid changes to the "class" and/or rules as far as possible.

(b) Any suggested changes to the class/rules, have to be, firstly presented to the measurer and scrutineer in writing, and only after he/she, in consultation with, and having the written agreement to proceed further with those changes, from, the executive, is satisfied that they (the changes) have merit, will he/she, pass them on to the executive for consideration.

© The measurer and scrutineer, and only the measurer and scrutineer, shall have the power to decide if a boat is, or is not, "class" legal

(d) Any changes to the "Class rules", can only be made after full perusal and consideration, by the measurer and scrutineer and the executive. After which, if they (the measurer and scrutineer and the executive) decide unanimously that they (the changes) have merit, then the proposed change(s) shall be framed and circulated to all financial members for their, familiarization and consideration for a period of not less than twelve full calendar months, from one A.G.M, for voting on at the next A.G.M.

(e) Any change/amendment to the class rules shall only be made on the success of a motion at an A.G.M. to that effect by a majority of three quarters of ALL financial members of the I.F.C.A. eligible to vote. (whether present or by proxy)

(f) Upon the success of a motion of change to the class rules, that change shall only be provisional for a period of twelve calendar months, (until the next A.G.M.) at which time, if it has been found unanimously by the executive, to have been advantageous to the class. and only if it has been advantageous to the class, will it be put to the vote of the members for ratification, and if it is ratified by the majority vote of three quarters of ALL the financial members, (whether present or by proxy vote), then, and only then, shall it be included as a permanent part of the "class rules".

Here in ends the "constitution of the International Formula 14’ (F14) Catamaran Association ".

All following shall be defined as the "Regulations of the I.F.C.A."

and the "Class rules of the I.F.C.A.".

The International class rule's of the

"Formula 14 Catamaran (F14)"

The F14 class of catamaran's has been directed to the creation of a formula, class(s), where the development of the ”class” is to encourage innovation by sailors, designers, and commercial builders, to produce competitive catamarans within the “box rule” of this formula.

To maintain this ideal, the administration of this class/formula shall be governed by the "International F14 Catamaran Association" (I.F.C.A.),

Objectives of these class rules.

1. To allow every boat to race as equal, “for across the line first wins” provide that.

A) All and any, catamarans competing as F14 do not fall outside the “Box Rule” measurements.

B) Each and every catamaran competing in an “International F14 Catamaran Association” sanctioned event is/are registered with the “F14 Association.

C) Each and every catamaran competing in an “International F14 Catamaran Association” sanctioned event has a current measurement certificate, issued by the I.F.C.A. or it’s duly authorized agent/s.

Rights of protest

A) A skipper and/or a race committee, has the right to protest, and the I.F.C.A. has the right to declare ineligible, any catamaran which does not conform to the spirit, objectives, and intent, as well as the letter of these rules, and/or the official measurements and specifications, as determined by the I.F.C.A.

Identification

A) Only boats conforming to within the perimeters of the I.F.C.A. formula 14 (F14), and carrying the official emblem of the F14 class, and having a current measurement certificate as stipulated by the I.F.C.A. will be declared, "class" legal.

General rules

A) Nothing can be changed or removed from any F14 class catamaran that will in any way alter the required structural integrity, or built in safety and strength of the boat, as required by the I.F.C.A.

Safety equipment

A) An approved buoyancy aid (not a wet suit) must be worn by any and all people on board any F14 catamaran when competing in any I.F.C.A. sanctioned racing event, AT ALL TIMES WHILST COMPETING ON THE WATER.

B) A minimum eight mm diameter righting rope, of at least four metres in length shall be securely attached to the underside of the trampoline supporting cross beams, and be readily accessible when the boat is in a ninety degree, or fully inverted, "ditched" position.

C) A paddle is desired, but not mandatory.

D) Any additional equipment that may be required by the national authority having control, at any specific I.F.C.A. sanctioned venue.

Hulls and decks

A) Hulls may be rubbed, waxed, sanded or buffed only in the normal process of maintenance and not as a means of increasing speed.

B) No friction reducing agents may be employed on the

hulls, rudders, or centre/dagger boards.

C) Hull flotation, closed cell foam, as required within the

"class safety requirements" shall not be removed, or reduced in size.

D) Decks and gunwales can have "non skid" fabric

attached.

Tiller Assembly.

A) The tiller extension may be either extendable or non extendable, but must be a single tiller with one end connected to the cross beam in the centre location.

B) The hinging mechanism between the cross arm and

the two tiller arms, shall not be able to be used to

adjust the steering Asymetrix’s whilst sailing

Sails

A) All sails and mast areas must conform within the maximum allowable for the class (s).

B) All sails must have the approval from the measurer and scrutinizer and carry a current measurement certificate

C) A sail, once approved by the measurer, may be recut slightly, if desired, but the overall area shall not be increased, or altered to significantly change the original shape, (as approved and measured) other than with normal stretch with ageing. (unless otherwise approved in writing, by the measurer). If “cutting” of a sail does dramatically alter it, then that sail must be considered as a “new” sail and measured accordingly.

D) Windows and telltales may be added as desired.

E) A Cunningham may be installed in the mainsail.

F) Only standard, fibreglass battens shall be used (fibreglass/ foam included, (or industry equivalent). They can be cut or tapered as desired. Any type of batten cap may be used, but they shall not be adjustable on the water, whilst sailing.

G) A sailor shall not change sail's during a race or regatta, unless his/her sail has been damaged and is no longer useable. Permission to make sail changes must be received in writing from the measure and scrutinizer.

H) All mainsails shall bear the class emblem on both sides of the sail, in the top third of the sail.

I) All main sail's shall bear a sail number, registered with the I.F.C.A. Sail numbers shall be no less than 250 mm in height. Sail numbers shall appear on both sides of the sail.

J) Friction reducing devices may be applied to, or attached to the main sail luff rope, only to help with the ease of rising and/or lowering of the sail.

Masts.

A) The main sail luff control, all it’s fittings, and the

number, and positions of purchase, may be varied to

suit the strength and preference of the sailor.

B) Any changes to the main sail luff control that could be interpreted to have changed the luff control into that of a boom vang, and/or a combined luff tension and boom vang, shall be illegal

C) The number of rotation control purchases, may be increased to assist in the ease of rotation adjustment and control. but cannot be set up to act in any way as a boom vang.

Boom

A) Boom block hangers, for the purpose of supporting the mainsheet blocks, may be added, deleted, or relocated.

B) The main sail foot out haul, and all associated fittings, may be positioned internally.

C) The sheet line for the mast rotation control may be run to the sides of the boat to facilitate ease of operation whilst sailing.

Equipment

A) Compasses may be added

B) Any and all sheeting line "block's", and number of purchases, may be added, reduced, or changed, to suit the individual requirements of each individual sailor. Any and all sheeting lines may be run to the sides of the hulls.

C) Cushion pockets and spray flaps may be added to the trampoline.

D) A second set of hiking straps may be added.

E) No hiking strap shall be adjustable whilst "on the water".

F) Convenience accessories such as, tell tale's, tool kit, non skid, wind indicator's, etc, etc, may be added.

Crew and crew weight

A) The same crew shall be used, on the same boat, through out any race or regatta, crew shall not be added, deleted, or changed without written permission from the race committee.

B) If a crew change is required due to injury, (or allowed during match racing), the crew weight shall not be less than the original weight, and not more than 4.5 Kg over the original weight. (Weights may be carried to maintain the original weight)

C) Any correcting weights shall be carried, attached to the boat, at or about the centre of the main supporting beam in the immediate area of the mast base, and shall not be movable whilst sailing.

D) No shoes or heavy clothing shall be worn when determining "crew weight".

E) Weight's used for meeting weight balance requirements, shall not be useable for any other purpose.

The “Box rule” governing an F14 catamaran is –

1. L.O.A. of the hulls (excluding any “T foils, rudders and all rudder fittings) 4.34 metres

2. Maximum Beam Overall 2.5 metres

3. Mast Height, unrestricted, although the mast can only

form a percentage of the total sail area of no more than 15%

of the mainsail area, i.e. no “solid” wing sail

(articulated or not).

All the sails shall be of a “soft” fabric type

4. Maximum Sail Area (including half the area of the

mast bounded by the luff length of the main sail), shall not exceed 27.87 sq metres (300 sq feet)

This maximum area includes the combination of the

areas of ALL sails whether there be a mains’l, a jib,

and a spinnaker, or any combination there of.

The measurements of all the sails shall be by the calculation of the “actual” sail area.

5. Construction materials are unrestricted

6. Minimum Weight (all up sailing weight minus crew) 50 kgs

7. “T” foils (not hydrofoils) used primarily, ONLY for the stablelization of pitch, and only if attached to, or forming part of the rudders, or attached to the aft underside of the hull within 300mm of the transoms, and that the angle of “attack” of the “T” foils are non adjustable whilst sailing, are allowed. No attached foil shall exceed the width of the allowable beam of the catamaran, as allowed within this box rule.

8. Closed cell bouncy is required to be fixed internally in

the hulls, sufficient to maintain the vessel, and its crew,

in the upright position, with the hulls at, or above the

surface of the water, when one or both hulls are

completely full of water.

9. Number and weight of crew are unrestricted. (with reference to “Crew and Crew Weight” in the preceding section of the class rules)

10. Any spinnaker pole, or spinnaker pole fittings shall not protrude further forward of the forward most point of the bows (measured at 90 degrees from the centre of a line connecting the two most forward parts of the bows of each hull), by more than one metre.

The "Regulations" of the "International Formula 14’ (F14) Catamaran Association "

Day to day operations and execution of the provisions of the constitution

of the I.F.C.A.

These regulations are to be used as the means of implementing the constitution of

The "International Formula 14’ (F14) Catamaran Association ", and as such, remain

As subservient to the constitution. If in doubt at any time as to their

(the regulations) meaning/context, refer back to the constitution for interpretive clarification.

A) The president shall give notice to the secretary, in the month of March of each

Year, to give notice to all members, of the AGM of the I.F.C.A. to be held in the

month of May.

B) The president shall give notice to the secretary, to call the A.GM by the

provisions of the constitution of the I.F.C.A. (i.e. 30 days notice).

C) The president shall, through the secretary, call meetings of the membership/committee(s) of the I.F.C.A. as required.

Duties (mandatory) of the president at appropriate meetings

A) At every appropriate AGM the president shall call for a volunteer for the

Temporary position of chairperson. The president shall then vacate the chair.

Similarly the measurer and scrutineer also vacates his/her position The

chairperson shall then call for nominations for the position of president, and

measurer and scrutineer. After nominations have been voted on, and resolved,

the newly elected president shall take the chair and forthwith chair this and all meetings until the next presidential/measurer and scrutineer, elections.

B) At appropriate A.G.M's, the president shall declare all positions, (except those of

president, and measurer and scrutineer when they are still current) vacant

C) Calls for nominations for all vacant committee positions, resolves their election

by a vote .

D) Calls for motions determining the next years subscriptions

E) Calls for motions for creating honorary life members

F) Calls for any motions to amend (1) The Constitution (2) The class rules (3) The regulations.

G) To discuss any usage of the presidential veto occurring during the appropriate proceeding, time span and accept any motion(s) to the effect of that veto, as

required.

At all A.G.M’s, G.M's, and committee meetings, the president shall;

A) Open the meeting and have all those present recorded.

B) Accept apologies.

C) Have note made of, and register any proxy votes, - motion as necessary.

D) Read minutes of previous, appropriate meeting(s) - motion - as true and

accurate record.

E) Direct treasurer to read the financial report, - motion - as true and accurate

record.

F) Correspondence in, motion as required.

G) correspondence out, motion as required.

H) Have read reports from all sub committee's i.e. social, delegates, etc.

I) Business arising from minutes.

J) General business.

K) Set date for next appropriate meeting

L) Declare the meeting closed.

The Secretary

A) Shall complete all correspondence diligently.

B) Keep minutes of all meetings.

C) Maintains and updates the list of all financial and non financial members.

D) Performs all duties as directed by the committee and the president.

E) Shall also be the public officer.

F) notifies all appropriate members of forth coming applicable meetings.

The Treasurer

A) Maintains an accurate record of all the financial affairs of the I.F.C.A.

B) Prepares statements of finance, including all income and expenditure, for presentation at each committee meeting, GM, and AGM.

C) Is responsible for receiving and banking all I.F.C.A. income.

The publicity officer

A) Plans and arranges all publicity and promotional media to achieve the goals and

objectives the I.F.C.A.

D) Edits the "class" news letter, to have published regularly (quarterly

approximately), well Presented and cost effective.

C) To peruse the standards and style of authorized dress of the I.F.C.A. i.e. jackets,

wind cheaters, T-shirts, etc, etc.

D) To peruse and maintain the standard and continuity of I.F.C.A. stationery, logo,

letterheads, emblems on trophy's and trophy's, etc.

E) Together with the secretary, help the social committee set regular social

functions.

F) Through the secretary, ascertain that all members and potential members of the I.F.C.A. are contacted in person (or by phone), regularly, as well as through the

news letter, to keep them completely informed of social and/or I.F.C.A. functions.

G) Actively pursues the attainment of advertising and sponsorship income for the

I.F.C.A.

The measurer and scrutineer

Peruses all measurements sheets, prepares all measurements, measures as

necessary, maintains a list of approved measurements, and maintains a "class" and name register. The measurer and scrutineer is totally responsible for the

maintenance of the standards and consistency of the "class". Any and all suggested changes to the "class" rules have to be, firstly presented to the measurer and scrutineer in writing and only after he/she is satisfied that they have merit, will

he/she then pass them on to the committee for consideration. The measurer and scrutineer shall religiously maintain a "class" and name register in which any boat

for any justifiable reason has been entered as being "non standard", may only be declared "legal" in that register when the measurer and scrutineer, declares that

boat is "class" legal (with the approval of the executive by a majority vote).

Delegates to affiliated bodies

Shall attend all appropriate meetings of bodies with which the I.F.C.A. is affiliated,

or associated with. The delegates shall report the business of interest to the I.F.C.A.,

arising at those meetings, back to the committee at the next committee meeting.

Executive Committee members

Shall work at the direction of the president for the good of the I.F.C.A. They shall

observe the duties of the executive with diligence. Each member of the committee

is expected to treat their term of office as a training period for their later

fulfillment of a more demanding position on the executive. Their term of office

should not be considered a once off term, but instead as a transition through to the ultimate office resulting, hopefully in honorary life membership..

The social committee

A) shall be responsible for organizing fund raising functions for the members and

associates of the I.F.C.A.

B) Recommendations for functions are

1) Film evening with chicken and wine (or similar) supper

2) Barbecue and fun night with, perhaps, games and dancing, (perhaps a theme

night, i.e. fancy dress, or 50's rock, pensioners night, etc.)

3) Games night with basket supper.

4) I.F.C.A. dinner at a restaurant with music and an I.F.C.A. MC.

5) shall be responsible for non fund raising, i.e. picnic days for family and

friends. Tennis days for the whole family, etc.

6) Shall organize the small revenue raisers at all possible times, i.e. raffles etc

7) Shall present to the treasurer prior to each and every meeting of the

committee, an itemized, full income and expenditure accounting.

8) shall each year present to the executive, a complete written record of previous

social functions, with dates, costs, contacts for bookings, agents, caterers, etc

for the smooth transition and efficiency for the next social committee.

The following are included within the regulations, but are not part of those

regulations, they are there merely as a recommended guide.

INTERNATIONAL/NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

A) Until such time as the executive decides differently, all national/international

championships shall be contested at, preferably, the same location. In so doing

it facilitates the potential for the more smoothly run, efficient, cost effective,

organization and administration of that event. It should quickly establish the

event as a permanent fixture with no ambiguity as to it's location or timing,

allowing more convenient forward planning by competitors for attendance.

Advertising and sponsorship, becomes easier to obtain when the event has,

recognition, consistency, and prestige.

B) Six months prior to the "Nationals/Internationals", an action committee of

three (3) people shall devote their energies to the success of the "Nationals/Internationals". Their duties include.

1) Arranging and finalizing (in writing from the club), costs of the club, and all

other associated expenses to be incurred in the running of the event.

2) Accommodation for visiting competitors, families and other associates.

3) Bookings for any necessary venues for entertainment/functions.

4) Together with the social committee, arrange food and drinks

5) make available to the publicity officer, regularly, details of the event, i.e.

number of duty boats, dates. times of social functions, state of

accommodation, sponsorship, etc, etc, so that he has the latest available information to publish in the news letter, for the benefit of all the members.

6) Projected costing estimates for the committee to maintain a costing balance.

7) Actively, together with the publicity officer, pursue advertising and

sponsorship.

8) Together with the publicity officer and secretary, send copies of sailing

instructions and I.F.C.A. rules to all nominated members and affiliates.

9) Together with publicity officer put together a "Nationals/Internationals" kit .

10) Arrange all personnel for specific duties at the "Nationals/Internationals",

from within the membership.

11) Keep working notes for the executive for the benefit of future committee's

C) The committee shall delegate three people as a race committee, the chairman of

which shall be title "Commodore". another titled "Vice Commodore", and the third

"recorder of rules" This committee shall be responsible for the hearing of all

protests. They shall interpret the rules of the I.F.C,A. be responsible for briefings

Any disagreements occurring, shall be decided by this committee, unless they are

outside the authority of the I.F.C.A.

D) If any sailing disagreements that may occur, falls outside the authority of the

race committee, then that matter may be taken before the executive for

deliberation.

E) The committee of the I.F.C.A. shall put into effect the necessary, preliminary

work required for the guaranteed success of the "National/International Championships" at least ten (10) months prior to that event.

F) The action committee of three (3) members, immediately after the

completion of each National/International Championship, shall make, and

confirm, the necessary reservations of venue, and potential accommodation,

in writing for the next Championships. All costs from club, accommodation,

entertainment, caterers, etc, etc, must be in written/contractual form,

with all written receipts kept by the action committee to forward to the

treasurer at the appropriate meetings of the committee.

Sailing Instructions (SOUTHERN HEMESPHERE)

These sailing instructions should be followed as closely as possible, although,

they are primarily a guide and may be altered at the direction of the "Executive Committee )

A) All sailing championships of the I.F.C.A. shall be governed by the rules of the

I.F.C.A.

B) The schedule of races are as follows;

27th December 10.30 a.m. to 4.30 pm. class measuring. 7.30 p.m. to 11.30 p.m.

welcome to the nationals and briefing.

28th December 9.30 a.m. to 11.30 a.m. class measuring. 2.00 p.m. invitation race.

29th December 8.30 a.m. briefing. 9.30a.m. 1st heat. 2.30 p.m. 2nd heat.

30th December 8.30 a.m. briefing. 9.30 a.m. 1st resail. 2.30 p.m. 3rd heat.

31st December 8.30 a.m. briefing. 9.30a.m. 4th heat. 2.30 p.m. 2nd resail.

1st January Lay Day

2nd January 8.30 a.m. briefing. 9.30 a.m. 5th heat. 2.30 p.m. 6th heat.

3rd January 8.30 a.m. briefing. 9.30 a.m. 3rd resail. 2.30 p.m. 7th heat.

Presentation dinner starts 7.30 p.m.

C) Competition shall be arranged for all classes of boats that shall come under the

Authority of the I.F.C.A. through acceptance of their nomination for this event.

D) The advertised starts in these sailing instructions shall be preceded by a ten

minute, a five minute, and a one minute warning signal. Any additional starts,

(other than the first start) shall take the starting signal of the preceding start

as their five minute warning signal. The actual starting procedures shall be

posted in detail by the race committee of the I.F.C.A. or the OOD. at the morning briefings. Similarly, the courses to be sailed shall be posted at the morning

briefings. General and individual recalls, finishing procedure, and

shortening of course shall also be posted at the morning briefings.

E) The I.F.C.A. hereby let it be known that any and all those taking part in any, sail

Racing championship(s) organized/conducted by the I.F.C.A. do so entirely at their own risk and responsibility. The I.F.C.A. is not responsible for the sea worthiness

of any yacht whose entry has been accepted, or the sufficiency or adequacy of

it's equipment. (NB "It shall be the sole responsibility of each yacht to decide

whether or not to start and/or to continue to race)

F) The I.F.C.A. reserves the right to refuse any entry.

G) Around the ends rules apply

H) The I.F.C.A. shall observe the sailing rules as contained within the official book of

The Australian Yachting Federation.

NOTICE of RACE ( This "Notice of Race" should be followed as closely as possible, although, it is primarily a guide and may be altered at the direction of the

"Executive Committee )

A) notice is hereby given that the "International Formula 14’ (F14) Catamaran

Association" shall hold, “International/National Sailing Championships" from

the 27th of December to the 3 rd of January of the following year, inclusive.

B) The series shall be governed by the rules and regulations of the I.F.C.A.

C) These Championships shall be decided in all classes of multi hulled craft that are

accepted by the I.F.C.A. upon nomination.

D) To be eligible to compete, all skippers and crews must be financial members of

the I.F.C.A. as of the 27th December in the year of that Championship, and also to have paid any nomination fee's due for that series, and, hold a current

measurement certificate from the I.F.C.A.

E) All accepted craft must be class legal.

F) Any and all accepted nominated competitors for the series shall agree (by their

accepted nomination, to compete), to be bound by the rules, sailing instructions,

notice of race, and regulations of the I.F.C.A.

G) Although the I.F.C.A. shall endeavor to take all necessary precautions to protect

the property and physical well being of all competitors in this event, no

nomination shall be accepted from any one unless it is expressly understood that

they do so (sail and participate in this event) entirely at their own risk, and agree

not to hold the I.F.C.A. it's committee's, officer's or members responsible for any

damage or injury that may occur to their person or property as a result of their participation in this event, (note: " It shall be the sole responsibility of

each yacht to decide whether or not to start and/or to continue to race).

H) 28th December 2.00 p.m. Invitation race

29th December 8.30 a.m. briefing. 9.30 a.m. 1st heat. 2.30 p.m. 2nd heat.

30th December 8.30 a.m. briefing. 9.30 a.m. 1st resail. 2,30 p.m. 3rd heat.

31st December 8.30 a.m. briefing. 9.30 a.m. 4th heat. 2.30 p.m. 2nd resail.

1st January LAY DAY.

2nd January 8.30 a.m. briefing. 9.30 a.m. 5th heat. 2.30 p.m. 6th heat.

3rd January 8.30a.m. briefing. 9.30 a.m. 3rd resail. 2.30 p.m. 7th heat.

7.30 p.m. Presentation dinner.

I) The races shall be scored on the following basis;

1st place 0 points

2nd place 3 points.

3rd place 5.7 points

4th place 8 points.

5th place 10 points

6th place 11.7 points.

7th place and there after, place plus 6 points

A DNS shall score points for last place, plus one place (of all accepted nominations)

A DNF shall score points for last place, plus one place more than the number of

Yachts that ranked as starters, for that race.

J) A yardstick/handicap may be used between the different classes of yachts

competing.

K) Sailing instructions shall be available on the 27th December upon nomination, or posted out prior upon the earlier acceptance of nominations.

L) The course shall be an Olympic type triangle with, start, windward leg, reach,

reach, windward leg, windward return, windward leg, reach, reach, and windward

leg to finish. (unless notified by the race committee or OOD, as being different, at

the morning briefings)

M) All sailing competition of the I.F.C.A. shall be conducted under the rules of the

"International Formula 14’ (F14) Catamaran Association "

It is a shame that the Nacra 14sq does not fit in with the rules.

And also, a Maricat is not 4.3m long, or as stated in the rules 4.35 long.

How many classes do fit into the class rules and is there to be a "Grandfather Rule" that will allow boats that are older designs to fit in with the rules, like the Maricat, Windrush and Nacra 14???

If they do not fit the rule, and new boats are to be made we are wasting our time.

Good comments MSC,

This is a proposed constitution etc defining a "new F14 class" (which as yet I don't think there is a single cat on the water) but it provides the basis for any and all "future" designers and or builders to base their boats on, so that regardless of what ever they come up with, they (the boats) can all compete on equal terms within "the box rule".

When it comes to all the existing "14" foot cats, as far as races are concerned, then yes, we incorporate a "grandfather rule". Something like, they (the exisating 14' cats) will compete for "across the line" against the "new" F14's, and if they win then they will be accorded the win in the new F14 class, but they will also have won within their grandfather class as well, Whereas no matter how many "grandfathered" 14's the new F14 beats, the new F14 will stil not be accorded the win over the grandfathered cats. (or some thing simmilar to be worked out to everyones satisfaction)

I can't see any other way that ALL the so called existing 14' cats can come together due to the quite enormous variations in size, sail area, makers, trapeze/no trapeze, etc etc.

I feel that there has to be some sort of formalisation for the future for F14 along the lines of the F16's and the F18's and now would seem to be a good time to take that step.

The "new" F14's could be called F14 development (or something similar) and the existing 14' cats that are ftted with spinnaker could be called simply F14, or what ever.

As regards the constitution etc for a new F14, it would seem a little pointless to me, to start a 14' formula where the overall length of the cat was any thing other than 14' (4.35m), after all, over many years I have been witness to so many arguments between "14 ft" cat owners of different makes about the difference between their performance being as the result of the difference in their lengths. I feel that a box rule for a new F14 should at least be 14'!

Struth Darryl, that looks like a pretty complicated doc. It reads a bit like War & Peace smile.gif Couldn't it be broken down into say three of four docs, like Constitution, Aims and Objectives, Rules, etc, to make it a bit more digestible?

I have some issues with parts of it which I'll try to address but mate it's going to be a full time job for a week.

Personally I think it's probably a bit early to go to these lengths with no racing history and only one serious F14 on the water and it being made redundant by these rules frown.gif

I've done a mock-up from the A class rules which closely relates to the F14 concept and which seems to be a lot more simple and has done the A people well at an international level for a lot of years, which should be sufficient for up-comming events till we get some history and a sence of where this thing is heading, if anywhere.

Bern

I think we need to dispense with the term 'Grandfather rule'. If we are trying to attract new people to race in the 14ft class and particularly F14 we probably shouldn't denigrate anyone with seemingly derogotory terminology.

I personally prefer the term 'Retro class' (F14R) although I think there are other better alternatives.

The retro class will be racing 'in class' ie, contesting placings within the class (F14R), but will also be in contention for outright F14 honours if good enough or sailed well enough, however F14's built to the rules after say 2000 will only be eligible for F14 placings.

At this stage there appears to be only three full blown F14's i.e. new designs built/being built to the draft regs.

Hope this explains it Ok,

Bern

A Maricat is only 4.27 long, which does not fit in with the rules and is probably the most popular 14 footer going around at the moment.

When you have a class based on formula's, you have to be careful to not discourage everyone and make it hard to fit in with.

That is why there is the so-called Grandfather Rule which allows Hobie 14's, Maricat's, Winrush's, and any other boat in the same category to compete.

Sometimes you bend the rules more for the older boats to give them bigger kites or something to let them have enough speed to keep up with newer boats.

If someone built an F14 out or exotics and put some serious development into it, I doubt a 22 year old Hobie 14 would keep up with it.

But let the Hobie 14 have a bigger kite, it may be able to battle it out for line honours.

Also, to keep the numbers up you can allow in the class Hobie 13's as they do in the US, even though it is not 14 feet.

It is the formula 14. As in other classes, length is not the only thing that makes you go fast, so give or take from 14 feet for the first 5 years or so lets you establish a class, and as new boats come along, the older ones will drop off as has happened in the F18 here and F16 overseas.

Not all 18 footers are 18 feet long, and never once was a 12 metre yacht 12 metres long.

I think if we can get a variety of 14 footers out there with the kites and have good fleet sizes, the rest will come together.

The Mystere 430 is one boat that would fit the class sensationally.

BUT YOU ARE A GRANDFATHER aren't you Berny????

This is a fairly standard constitution Berny, it only has the relevent inclusions that are required by the "Associations Incorporation Act" to register and incorporate an association.

The "Regulations" are the guidelines necessary for the "day to day running" of an association, The most pertinent part, is probably the shortest. That is the actual "box rule". This is the part that will be of interest to most sailors, and it is the area that will define the "new F14". How the existing 14' cats are included is something that we need discussion on to reach a conclusion. As I said, I think that if we are creating a "formula 14", then surely the length of the cat should be 14'?? But that is not to say that it has to be, we could define a 14'cat as being any cat with a hull length up to 14'6" - over 14' but not above half way point to 15'-. I think that it would be a little ambiguous though. We could call the existing 14' with spinnaker the "F14 Turbo's" or "super F14's" (the F14 superiour) to encourage them more, and the "new F14's", F14 standard?? gives the existing cats an air of importance! and any "new" F14 as "standard", I don't think the owners of the "new" ones would care at all!

I have been involved in the creation of and running of many associations and sat on the commitees of several yacht clubs over the last 40 odd years Berny, and believe me, this is a fairly concise and simplified constitution. The regulations, I have found from experience, needs to spell out as much as possible for the "volunteering" elected inexperienced "amateur" members to be able to "run" an association on behalf of the members. One can't assume that the elected "officials" of an association have the experience necessary for their position, and if the guidlines are spelled out, it is more difficult for them to go wrong.

I have purposely not, at this stage included anything about the "existing" 14' cats. That is so that we can discuss the best way of incorporating them into the racing with a "new" formula. But, if we are to achieve recognition for a new formula, then the perimeters for that new class need to be defined before any new F14 are "on the water" so that future designers and builders know precisely just what the limits of measurements are.

The existing cats need to be included within the racing framework, but their conformation to the "box rule", at this stage is obviously superfluous. There needs to only be a suitable frame work for them to be able to race along side each other and the new F14's with the calculation of the results being fair to all.

We could include a section after the box rule such as - "all existing "14" catamarans designed before the incorporation of this constitution, that have hull lenghts no longer than 14'6"?? and have a sail area (inclucive of all the working sails and a spinnaker/reacher) no greater than 300 sq ft, can race with and against the F14 catamarans fitting this "box rule", on an equal, "across the line first wins", and they (the pre existing 14' cats) will be allocated with an appropriate handicap for their finishing times against each other (that is the pre existing 14' desined cats) for their own "division" exclusive of the "new" F14 catamarans.

What do you think????

Sounds good as long as you include in the existing catamaran classes an allowance for a kite as I think that a few of the Maricat guys will have them soon (like me and Macca) and also for non class boats like Berns sensational 430.

Looking good.

Does the Mystere 4.3 fit into the class. Does any existing boat actually fit right in with the class or are we waiting for new boats go be designed and built.

Also, like the F18's, it would be great to be able to play around with your main sails, so if there was a new design that made an old Hobie 14 fly, it could be used on the Maricat as well. Or even a new square top used on a Mystere could be used on Berns 430 or on the Nacra 14, or even on the Mari and Hobie's.

Then people could buy an old Maricat and just use to platform and put a super rig in it.

I think once you change your boat too much you get kicked out of the grandfather class.

Any existing cat up to the hull length that we eventually decide on and with the TOTAL sail area no more than 300 sq ft (hell, no one in their right mind would ever want to put more than that on any way) would be eligable. If they had no spinnaker there would be an appropriate rating, same as for any obviously faster cat - 14 sq nacra?? - would carry a penalty.

The "14' cats" would sail against each other without spinnaker the same as they do now in mixed 14' races, but there would be 2 new versions - existing 14' with spinnaker and the new F14's. The existing 14's with spinnaker could all sail against each other for across the line first wins, and compete directly with the new F14 as well

berny posted a link that shows a hobie 14 that has just had new sails, doing away with the jib and replacing it with a BIG furlable reacher (mast head) and the main is square top and looks about the same area as the standard H14 (maybe a bit bigger) but it looks as if it would fit straight onto the Mari.

Yeah, I saw that Hobie.

It also seems that the furling system for the smaller cats is very popular over a snuffer, as you do not have to then pull the kite up and then drop it. Just yank the sheet and it pops out.

I think there might also be a rethink whether the supersloop Maricats and Windrushs really need the jib anymore.

Most of the cat rigged maricat sailors are about the same speed upwind but much slower off the breeze, but the kite takes this role more.

It will be interesting to say the least.

I think we need to take a moment to clear up a few points about F14 with some logical, progressive clarification of the F14 story and a bit of history.

Some background information;

F14 first came to light on the Catamaran Sailor website and discussion was basically about developing existing 14ft cats to carry spinnakers.

From there it developed into a discussion about the creation of a new 14ft class catamaran with very liberal rules to allow for intuitive design similar to the A class rules.

The 'box rule' was loosely developed and tentatively adopted as a guide to help with early development.

It was decided that the boat should be no longer than 4.34 metres (to accommodate existing cats) or wider than 2.5m, carry no more than 300squ ft of sail in any configuration and weigh no less than 75kg all very similar to 'A' class except of course for the numbers. They included a mast height limit (24ft) which was silly and not likely to be adopted in the final draft. No other restrictions would apply making for a very open design criteria.

It was decided that two classes of F14 would be catered for. One for recently designed and built cats conforming to the maximum allowable measurements, (F14), and another for existing boats, Hobies, Maricats, Windrushs, Mystere 14's etc. modified (retro fitted) with bigger mainsails and a spinnaker/headsail(F14R). All these boats would be eligible for line honours because they fall within the box rule.

It basically stalled there and only a limited number of people are actively looking at building an F14 to the maximum allowable limits with modern technology and innovation.

The way I see it here in Australia is;

Here we have established 14ft regattas which I've been involved with and competing in for about eight years and I saw the possibility of running the new F14's and F14R's with the existing 14's at these regattas.

To begin with I thought that the existing 14ft classes would compete as they now do, to existing class rules, in their existing configurations i.e. as cats, sloops, super sloops, on yardstick.

All F14R's (retro's) would race as a class for line honors in the F14R class and would also be eligible for outright line honors in the F14 class.

F14's, i.e. boats built strictly to the F14 box rule maximums would only be eligible for outright line honors.

So that's the basics and I think it'll sort itself out as we progress to regattas, get some results and see who's doing what and how it all fits together on the race course. My aim is to get as many 14ft boats as is possible sailing at 14ft regattas in as many configurations required to cater for everyone from the beginner to the cashed up techno head on his super speed machine. Having said that if someone does come along with a multi mega $$$$ machine and eclipses everyone it'll simply kill the F14 class which, being a formula class is more about being able to select the supplier of a competitive boat from a number of builders who are all capable of building a decent boat for a reasonable price, or even building the boat yourself. This is why you'll find most formulas don't allow for super light boats, they're just too expensive and that goes against what 14ft cat racing is all about, affordability.

Bern

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 08 July 2004).]

Draft F14 Catamaran Rules

The F14 Catamaran is controlled by the rules set down by the IYRU.

1. A catamaran is defined as a two-hulled sailing boat with essentially duplicate or mirror image hulls, fixed in parallel positions.

2. Sail area shall not be more than 27.9 square metres (300 square feet), the sail area to be measured in accordance with the" IYRU Measurement & Calculation of Sail Area Instructions" (Last issued May 1985)

Half of the mast area will be included in the sail area calculation.

3. The overall length of the catamaran shall not be more than 4.34 metres (14 feet 3inches)

The length shall be measured between perpendiculars to the extremities of the hulls with the catamaran in her normal trim. The measurement shall be taken parallel to the centre line of the craft and shall exclude rudder hangings, but if the athwartships width of a rudder within 153mm (6 inches) of the bottom of the hull is more than 76mm (3 inches), the length shall be taken to the aftermost point of the rudder.

4. The extreme beam shall not be more than: 2.5 metres (8 feet 2½ inches)

The beam shall be measured at right angles to the centre line of the craft at the widest point and including all fixed or adjustable apparatus with the exception of a normally accepted trapeze or retractable seat.

5. The crew in F14 Division shall be one or two persons.

6. Unballasted retractable seat or trapeze shall be allowed for the helmsperson or crew. When in use the helmperson or crew shall have at least one foot in contact with the boat at all times.

7. The F14 Division emblem shall be carried on the mainsail over national letters and sail numbers,

Sail numbers shall be allotted by the National Authority or Class Association appointed by the National Authority. The class emblem, national letters and distinguishing numbers shall be placed as prescribed in the Yacht Racing Rules.

( RRS 77 & RRS Appendix H )

8. Hydrofoils are not permitted.

9. Minimum weight in full sailing trim shall be not less than 70 kilograms.

Advertising; for all National, Continental and World Championships and events which are not restricted by the organising authority to Category A advertising status, a boat may choose to display unrestricted Category C advertising as defined by ISAF Regulation 20.

Measurement Form

All F14 Division Catamarans shall have a valid measurement form as set out in appendix 1. All yachts participating in association sanctioned events after 1st January 2004 may be required to produce a valid measurement form. This form is composed of four separate areas that are largely self-explanatory. The following notes should assist in their understanding.

Mast & Boom Measurement Form

The purpose of this measurement is to find half the total area of the mast and any mast base fitting attached. On a straight section (ie not tapered) it is simply the length L x half the mast girth. The Measurement and Calculation of Sail Area instructions defines girth as follows:

"The girth measurement shall be taken as the distance from the centreline round the surface of the spar to the same point on the centreline. The resultant dimension shall be divided by two to give the half girth measurement."

Should mast be tapered extra measurement U1 & T need to be taken and the formulae on measurement certificate utilised. Black band measurements L1 & L2 play no part in the mast measurement at this stage.

Boom measurement is only utilized if the profile height of the boom is more than 1.5 of the width.

Hull Measurement

This area is self explanatory with only two measurements needed ie width & length.

Things to look for with overall length are:

If the width of a rudder within 153mm (6 inches) of the bottom of the hull is more than 76mm (3 inches) the length measurement needs to go to the aftermost point of the rudder.

With the width, measurement is at the widest point of the hulls, this may be at some point down the sides of the hulls, especially if hulls are angled. It may also be possible that the maximum width is at bottom of centreboards when fully down.

Sail Measurement Form

When undertaking the sail measurement the following points should be noted.

Sail to be measured on a flat surface and laid out in terms of IYRU Measurement & Calculation of Sail Area Instructions

ie. "With battens set in their pockets the sail shall be pegged out on a flat surface with just sufficient tension to remove waves or wrinkles from the edge rounds and to spread the sail, as far as possible, substantially flat. Once the sail has been pegged out in this way all the required measurements shall be taken and no alterations to the tensions shall be made."

Luff length A is the maximum distance from the head to the tack of the sail. It is taken on the inside of the boltrope, which is not included in any measurement.

Base length P is a measurement from the clew to a point at 90 degrees to A.

Measurements M, F, K, D & H are all made at 90 degrees to their respective lines. All are to be the maximum distance that can be taken.

The headsails, spinnaker and/or jib shall have a combined perimeter of not more than 15.4m and any spinnaker shall have a cross width measurement not exceeding 3.1 meters, measured from a point half way along the leach to half way along the luff.

General Calculation Form

This form brings all the measurements together and all that is required is to transpose measurements from the other forms. On this page it allows you to calculate the theoretical Black Band distances that will allow a maximum mainsail that the boat may have. It should be noted that black bands should be on the mast and boom and form part of the measurement requirements.

The weight of the boat and any correcting weights are also listed on this page.

The weight of the boat consists of all items associated with the boat in full sailing trim. It does not include such things as shackle keys, water bottles, spare rope etc.

The boat must be weighed in a dry condition and any weights attached to bring the boat to a minimum weight of 70 kilograms must be permanently affixed and their weight duly noted on this page.

Berny where did you find these measurements by the ISAF for an F14???

No matter where I look in old written reference material that I have, and on the ISAF's web site, I can't find any reference by the ISAF to any F14 catamaran? I am not aware of them being interested in the slightest of any F14 catamaran. Even going back through the IYRU (the preceeder of the IOC (for sailing) and the ISAF) I can't find any references on the subject. The ISAF now don't even exercise any control over the "International "C" class cats, that was the perogative of the IYRU, and any currently interested parties in C class competition have steered right away from any involvement with the ISAF (which is not surprising as they -the ISAF- are a bunch of little greedy dictators)

Originally posted by berny:

Struth Darryl, that looks like a pretty complicated doc. It reads a bit like War & Peace smile.gif Couldn't it be broken down into say three of four docs, like Constitution, Aims and Objectives, Rules, etc, to make it a bit more digestible?

I have some issues with parts of it which I'll try to address but mate it's going to be a full time job for a week.

Personally I think it's probably a bit early to go to these lengths with no racing history and only one serious F14 on the water and it being made redundant by these rules frown.gif

*********I've done a mock-up from the A class rules which closely relates to the F14 concept and which seems to be a lot more simple and has done the A people well at an international level for a lot of years, which should be sufficient for up-comming events till we get some history and a sence of where this thing is heading, if anywhere.**********

Bern

one more time frown.gif

I take it Berny that that post is your "mock up" taken from the A class????

It seemed a little ambiguous from the posting that it didn't mention that fact, but instead started as "the F14 catamaran is controlled by the rules set down by the ISAF etc".

It reads as if the ISAF have assumed control over the Rules of an F14 class of catamaran already!

In any document relating to a Formula 14 catamaran it is important that no reference is made to the ISAF that can be in any way interperated by them (the ISAF) as authourising the use of their name/organisation as being associated with or having "control" over the class/formula (unless they do of course), other wise we would hear from their legal department before you could blink, and they would/could demand a fine/retraction from any one by simply connecting their name to something that they have not recieved their "pound of flesh" for. Just a point that may be of interest.

(As stated the ISAF are a blood sucking greedy bunch of B-----ds)

I think I may have gotten a little ahead of myself in posting a copy of my draft rules because what we are trying to do with F14 is not completely clear.

I've produced the following mission statement for your scrutiny and comment in an endeavour to ensure we are all 'on the same page' here to coin a phrase.

Please feel free to add your ideas and suggestions.

F14 OBJECTIVES

The primary objective of the Formula 14 movement is to develop rules for the construction and racing of 14ft catamarans which will ensure the following protocols are met;

to encourage and support competitive 14ft catamaran racing at club, state, national and international levels

to provide the infrastructure to facilitate competitive racing of 14ft catamarans at all levels

to generally promote the sailing of 14ft catamarans

to provide the opportunity for, and encourage current owners of existing 14ft catamarans to support the concept of the F14 formula

to provide a suitable environment for the sustainable manufacture of reasonably priced F14 racing catamarans

to provide for the option of participation in F14 via competitive home built 14ft catamarans

to encourage younger people to sail in the 14ft classes generally

to encourage the continued development of 14ft catamarans commensurate with the objectives of the formula

to work toward the inclusion of a 14ft catamaran as an Olympic class

to obtain affiliation with the IYRU and it’s sub committees

Bern

Archived