Looking to Buy

trying_hard

Without showing any bias, I would suggest a Maricat Sloop (!!), if you are planning to sail on a lake or bay. You can sail them one up or two and progress to one up with trapeze if you like. Older boats can be bought fairly cheaply. You can cruise or race with the old sails then add a new set and get serious. If you are going to sail where there is lots of chop or waves then a Windrush or Paper Tiger may be better. There don't appear to be many Hobie 14s around these days but there must be hundreds in backyards waiting to be restored and sailed. Best idea is to go to your local sailing club and sail what they have there.

Yep I agree with the Pointed one, Maricats are safe and very hardy. Cheap too. I've sailed mine over rocks. I sailed with a side stay completely detached on a starboad tack once for about 4 NM untill I managed to re attach it so I could tack back and get home unaided. Ran into a bridge when the wind and tide was against me. Boy have I given my very second hand one the stick,and it's still going strong.

EEEEEHAAAA!

Im not into the 14ft cats but if I was to get a 14ft cat it will definately be a maricat we have a couple at our club and they seem to be a sturdy, beginner friendly boat and with their yardstick if sailed to the max a pretty competative as well.

Cheers

william

nswmossie.com 1635

My first Maricat was called Lemon for obvious reasons. I found out with it (and other cats) the problem areas I didn't see before purchase always eventually caught up with me down the track. I had the most incredible time sailing Lemon but paid and paid for repairs and replacement parts. Talk to competitive sailors before you buy and learn to look for and identify poor maintenance, corrosion, bodgy repairs and just plain neglect. Read the NSW maricat website file on what to look for in a used boat.

Sometimes owners have no idea they are their own worst enemies- a case in point, two young guys who left their immaculate maricat on the beach for weeks at a time, hulls filled with saltwater so the cat wouldn't blow away. They had never heard of osmosis. I read them the riot act and they quickly got the message.

If possible for your first cat look and be prepared to pay for a well maintained complete cat/trailer/sailbox/beachwheels package than have to pay separately to bring each up to spec. Check out the Brisbane cat centre website and look at the costs of parts. It doesn't matter whether you want to race or just enjoy yourself, you need to have confidence that the cat won't fall apart so you can push it and yourself to the limit as required.

When you do buy a cat spend time and cash to routinely replace ropes, shrouds, trapeze wires and worn fittings otherwise things can go 'Bang' when you least expect it.

You are going to pay to go sailing just ensure you get value for money and be worry free while doing it. Don't gamble with your safety.

The thing about mari's and many other cats is that they can and do take incredible punishment over the years.

I'm sure there are lots of Lemons still out there waiting for someone to pour money into.

I agree with most of the comments above and Maricats are a durable and forgiving first boat. But I would consider whether you are likely to get into racing at some stage. Even if you don't think you will, you might surprise yourself down the track.

I think it is important to find a local club you are happy with and, if they already have a fleet of 14ft cats, I would be inclined to get what they sail. There are many advantages in fitting in with your local club's classes, including the availability of experts in the class and the potential for excellent racing.

If your local club has Paper Tigers, consider them as well. They are an excellent boat.

But if you want to take others out with you and you want to drag it over rocks and sand, Maricats and Windrushes are built to take this. Either would be a good choice.

Regards,

Dave.

Originally posted by QB2:

I'm sure there are lots of Lemons still out there waiting for someone to pour money into.

My first cat was and still is a mossie.

Found her in the front yard of a place and not been in the water for around 9 years.

I bought it and she did me well in the last season except for few frustrating retirements because of things for not being looked sfter.

What Im trying to say is take someone with you that knows what they are looking for, at least that will stop the heart ache and input of excessive money into the boat.

cheers

william

nswmossie.com 1635

testing times 1803

[This message has been edited by wildtoy (edited 25 May 2007).]

I've had two Maricats, they are great boats, but as suggested, get as much info on them as you can (maricat assocciation website), so you know what you need to look for before you buy.

Also pay a little more (up to about $2,500)and get a boat that been looked after.

I lucked out and brought my first boat for $750, and it owed me $1,100 when I sold it.

My second boat cost me $1,100, and so far I've spent about a $100 in rigging and ropes, and its a solid reliable boat.

The trick is to be patient, the right boat pops up eventually.

Cheers

Barry

Go to your friendly sailing club and ask a few people to go for sails with them, That way you know what you might like rather than thinking you like a boat and find out that its not what you are after

cheers

william

nswmossie.com 1635

Testing times 1803

Archived