Windy 14 tramp track fixing

Hockeye

I'm restoring a Series 1 Windie 14 and have found that the tramp track on the port side hull has 75% pulled its rivets out of the hull. I'd like some advice on rivet replacement and sealing. I've bought monel rivets from Windrush. Should I use the same rivet holes and is it true that the hull has a metal strip under the deck for the rivets to hang onto, rather than the fibreglass? Is a dob of silicon on each blind rivet enough for a deal?

Thanks

Hockeye

Sounds like you've got all the info.

Yes there is a metal strip under the deck but over time the rivets will pull free. Best trick is to pickup some sikaflex and use this to stick it to the deck then rivet it into place. Use silicon on all the rivets to seal them as well.

This will waterproof the tramp track about as best you can.

Punch the old rivet mandrels out before attempting to drill out the original rivets or the drill will run of and you wont be able to use the original holes. Do both sides or you will be doing the job again. You will have to grind the sides off your rivet pliers to fit down in the track. Ph 0243591729 if you have a problem. Good luck. Darce.

Archived