where to sail in the northern suburbs

QB2

Depends on what you want to sail????Multi / mono ? dinghy / yacht ?

If you want to race there's Sandgate Yacht Club and QCYC down at Shorncliffe ,there's MBBC at Scarbough ,If you want to just go for a blast try Bribie Island ,Don't think there sailing at Lake Samsonvale at the moment (no water).If you want to sail off the beach cats you can't go past Humpybong for sheer numbers and good well organised racing........

It's the off season so most of the clubs have shut down except those running winter series events!!

I do most of my sailing at Sandgate but like Humpybong it's a open part of the bay and can get quite Knarly in a blow,although at Sandgate you don't have to try and drag your boat 200m across the sand at low tide,,,I'd try Bribie Island ,nice clean water and very protected ,nice sandy beaches and only 40 min up the road,,,,,,,,,

Went for a sail at Humpybong this morning. Its great at high tide although there was plenty of flotsam and jetsam and we had to move to let workers run over the sand with a mechanical sweeper.

Are there any other areas between Woody point and Bribie island you can set up and launch from?

I checked the UBD, There are plenty of boat ramps but I want a good area to set up and be out of the way of the tinny brigade. There's 4 ramps in Deception Bay but I'd have to drag the cat for 200 metres at low tide. There's 3 ramps at Scarborough with two at the marina. I had a look and the main marina ramp caters for power boats and not beachcats and not when i an sailing solo. Does anyone sail out of the caboolture river?

I don't know of anyone sailing out of the Caboolture River. If you wanted to sail in that area, try looking at the boat ramp between the Bribie Island bridge and the Bongaree Jetty on Bribie.

Plenty of boat trailer parking and a sandy beach if it has not dissapeared lately. No one to race against though!

which suburb do you live in???

I live half way between Humpybong and Cabbage tree creek at Shorncliffe ( 5 mins in each direction) I personally prefer to sail at Shorncliffe cos I have done so for the last 30 years ,no problems at low tide with access only downside is in some conditions you have to tack in or out the creek depending on the direction ,theres good ramps there picnic area ,shop ect and once you get out on the bay your out in open water .

.Humpybong is similar and I've sailed there on an off over the years for nearly the same amount of time (when I sailed lasers I use to race at Sandgate YC in the morning start was at 10.00am ,after the race I use to sail across the bay to Humpybong and do the afternoon race overthere ,I remember once going through the finish line at Humpybong and cracking off on a reach in the opposite direction to the clubhouse and the rescue boat chased me down and asked me where I was going ,I pointed at Shorncliffe in the distance and said "home" )

,the only thing bad there is the crappy beach when the tide is out .

Try Bribie ,Bongaree across the road from the caravan park theres a nice sandy beech and a good ramp,or if it's blowing go the northern side of the bridge near the Coast Guard ,,,

also try Shorncliffe.....

Or if you don't mind a hour and a bit drive also try Lake Cootharaba up near Noosa....Good if your going for the weekend ,great sailing ...........

also Golden Beech Caloundra ,Maroochy River ,or Noosa River ....

if you feeling adventurous also theres Moolooaba (open ocean)......

Good luck

Jay..

If your looking for a great spot to sail when the wind is really blowing and the bay is too rough, try the Brisbane River from the ramp at Kirra Street Pinkenbah.

There's a good sandy beach to rig up on, plenty of parking, and the rivers nice and wide. Best part is when the winds fairly howling, the waves are only about 2 foot high and the waters surprisingly clean.

The only downside is there are no toilet facilities at the ramp other than some large bushes ;)

Cheers

Barry

I am looking at local areas to sail for the time being until I can replace my trailer wheels. I would like to go back to Lake Cootharaba but I can't tow the trailer above 90kph as my 8 inch wheels vibrate. There is no taper in the hub holes nor wheel nuts so centering the wheel on the hub is near impossible. Until I get new wider rims and higher speed rated tyres I don't want to travel to far. All the 8 inch tyres I've seen so far are speed rated to 80kph.

Archived