ACT Catamaran Chamionship 23rd/24th Oct

Helter Skelter

Hello all,

The ACT Catamaran Championship is on again this year on the weekend of the 23rd and 24th Oct. The NOR, entry form and promotional flyer are all available on the website at http://www.canberra.ymca.org.au/services/sail/Pages/RegattasandEvents.aspx

It promises to be another great event so come on down to canberra and support your fellow Maricat sailors.

Nick

• 1 month later...

An interesting first day with a mixed fleet dominated by Paper Tigers. Three Maricats in the Misc Fleet, Nick Ward, Pointed Reply and Pointed Reply 2 (both sailing cat rigged !). Zac sailing well, getting a second place in race two beating three Hobie Turbos, a Mari Super Sloop and a Glider. Race One was a good steady breeze (yes they do happen in Canberra), race two was light and race three had a strong gusty rain squall right at the start.

What will tomorrow bring ??

Another good days sailing, with light to moderate winds. Three races held with Ian Marko again managing to get to the finish line first on most occasions but with good close battles between Ralph and Tony on their PT and the two Pointed Reply's. Zac picked up another second place in the misc cat fleet, making it the second 1,2 finish for the Tumut boys. In race 6 Zac was second around the top mark just behind Tony Hasting and in front of Ian Marko. He went on to well and truly beat his father across the line. Pointed Reply (the elder) managed to win the overall Misc Cat division.

All round a good weekend with 6 races with plenty of interesting sailing. Variable winds and good healthy wind shift to keep you awake and alert.

Discussions were held with the YMCA Committee and they are enthusiastic about the Maricat States being held there next year.

Congrats Rod; well sailed. Race 6 suited us lightweights, and want to credit Zac for great sportmanship:

Going to windward after the start there was a decision on which side of the island to go. I've gone for the lee side, and to avoid the windshadow I've dropped traveller a bit and gone low, keeping speed up and in clear air. Once back in the wind I've come back to close-hauled, then got a knock. Sighting across it looked like I could clear the island and lay the mark, but had Zac on starboard following on my windward side. I've called out "hey I want to tack", and Zac's obligingly aimed a bit lower so I could tack in front of him. Thanks mate!

Archived