Port Stephens Sailing & Aquatic Club Regatta

Pointed Reply

Great spot.

I remember sailing here in the 80's. It was the best regatta of the year back then, even over Forster as the wind was always about a 15 knot NE. I won my first nationals race at this location. I actually went the wrong way and a big shift took me to the top mark without a tack. I think I was almost at the bottom mark before everyone else got to the top mark. I need that kind of luck.

I also remember sailing all day and then getting the sailboard out and going till it was dark. The things you can do in your teenage years. These days I just collapse on the shoreline after each race.

• 3 weeks later...

A good weekend of sailing with good weather, good breeze and good racing.

But the numbers were well down with no big cats and just 10 small cats. There was a bunch of OKs, 505s and a few FDs.

The PSSAC is concerned about the lack of numbers and the usual hard work of a small committee.

If the sailing community does not support a regatta such as this in this great location then there is some chance it will stop, just like their Winter Regatta.

The Port Stephens club also needs to do a bit more promotion to ensure that the various association are aware the regatta is on.

yeh great weekend, great sailing with good compertition, beautiful clear water, sandy beach to launch from, wine and cheese after racing on Saturday, the only down was the lack of boats sailing. I counted 38 entries all up on the results sheet including the monoslugs. I know that there was a lot more boats for the winter regatta as the beach used to full of boats. I just suppose that thats the way sailing is going to go.

Thankyou PSSAC for a great regatta. Thankyou Arrow guys and Rod and Zac for the great racing.

Phil

Archived