Have tiger need trailer

shwell

"duck punt" = 7 x 5foot box trailer?

The easy way; Put your PT on the ground next to the trailer, mast side up, transom towards the car. Lift the side of the boat that furthest from the trailer, so that it stands on edge and then step over the hull on the ground, keep going so the beams rest on the side of you box trailer.

Balance it there, and then lift the side that's now on the ground, until the PT is upside down, resting on its beams on top of your trailer. You might need to slide it across a little bit. Lash it down.

This method is a little harsh on the aluminium beams, so you could chuck something over the metal box; a blanket, tarp, tape some bits of foam, whatever.

In my box trailer I've a timber rig which carries 2 PTs. If it's just me and one boat I load and unload as described above. With two boats we actually pick them up and then put them in place. Want a photo of that rig?

Thanks Tony, the trailer has a 5" box but has a longer draw bar.

I'm keen on something like a typical A class trailer - where you slide on via cradles upto a beam catch and then something for the back beam too. I have a few ideas but don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Regards,

Michael.

"duck punt" = 7 x 5foot box trailer?

The easy way; Put your PT on the ground next to the trailer, mast side up, transom towards the car. Lift the side of the boat that furthest from the trailer, so that it stands on edge and then step over the hull on the ground, keep going so the beams rest on the side of you box trailer.

Balance it there, and then lift the side that's now on the ground, until the PT is upside down, resting on its beams on top of your trailer. You might need to slide it across a little bit. Lash it down.

This method is a little harsh on the aluminium beams, so you could chuck something over the metal box; a blanket, tarp, tape some bits of foam, whatever.

In my box trailer I've a timber rig which carries 2 PTs. If it's just me and one boat I load and unload as described above. With two boats we actually pick them up and then put them in place. Want a photo of that rig?

have seen a few varieties with that;

- keel of hull glides on rollers, until bars running lengthwise down the trailer support the PT's beams

- bars running lengthwise down the trailer support the PT's beams, and have a ramp at the rear end to slide the PT on

- a trolley that supports the PT by the beams is used to both launch the boat and hold it above the mudgaurds when on the trailer

Similar comments can be read here: http://www.papertigercatamaran.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=91

Supporting the boat by the beams is preferred, to save any possible damage to the hulls. The supports go just on inside of the hulls.

Regardless of style, all of these designs have bars running lengthwise, so the boat can be slid along to a stop. If you carry your boat upside down (like I do) then the frame can be just above the sides of the box trailer. If you carry it right way up, then the frame has to be about 50cm up; easier to load but reduces Box trailer function when the boat's not there.

Cant attach pic (needs to upload to a website first).

Might be easier if you contact the Victorian PTCA; http://www.vicpapertiger.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=100

and go over to Dromana area to see one of their trailers

Thanks Tony, the long beams would be easier that the initial plan. Do you happen to have dimensions for keel - keel, inner gunwhale - inner gunwhale, bow to front beam and beam to beam?? Please don't feel obliged to answer, just incase you know them off the top of your head.

Regards,

Michael.

have seen a few varieties with that;

- keel of hull glides on rollers, until bars running lengthwise down the trailer support the PT's beams

- bars running lengthwise down the trailer support the PT's beams, and have a ramp at the rear end to slide the PT on

- a trolley that supports the PT by the beams is used to both launch the boat and hold it above the mudgaurds when on the trailer

Similar comments can be read here: http://www.papertigercatamaran.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=91

Supporting the boat by the beams is preferred, to save any possible damage to the hulls. The supports go just on inside of the hulls.

Regardless of style, all of these designs have bars running lengthwise, so the boat can be slid along to a stop. If you carry your boat upside down (like I do) then the frame can be just above the sides of the box trailer. If you carry it right way up, then the frame has to be about 50cm up; easier to load but reduces Box trailer function when the boat's not there.

Cant attach pic (needs to upload to a website first).

Might be easier if you contact the Victorian PTCA; http://www.vicpapertiger.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=100

and go over to Dromana area to see one of their trailers

I should say the boat is being delivered this Sunday but have started modifying the trailer already.

MB.

Thanks Tony, the long beams would be easier that the initial plan. Do you happen to have dimensions for keel - keel, inner gunwhale - inner gunwhale, bow to front beam and beam to beam?? Please don't feel obliged to answer, just incase you know them off the top of your head.

Regards,

Michael.

Dimensions for:

keel - keel; 1735mm

inner gunwhale - inner gunwhale; 1270 (may vary depending on builder & method of tramp attachment).

bow to front beam; 1810

beam to beam; 1710

rearmost part to rear beam; 670 (which is why I put it on the trailer backwards; beams sit on box with stern clearing car. Bows overhand rear, but no probs there).

Beams 50 x 50mm box section. Rear beam has traveller track, either 25mm tall on top, or about 7mm wide on each side

Good luck!

Thanks very much Tony, this is very helpful. My boat will go on backwards as well.

Regards,

Michael.

Dimensions for:

keel - keel; 1735mm

inner gunwhale - inner gunwhale; 1270 (may vary depending on builder & method of tramp attachment).

bow to front beam; 1810

beam to beam; 1710

rearmost part to rear beam; 670 (which is why I put it on the trailer backwards; beams sit on box with stern clearing car. Bows overhand rear, but no probs there).

Beams 50 x 50mm box section. Rear beam has traveller track, either 25mm tall on top, or about 7mm wide on each side

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived