Toukley Sailing Club, Christmas Regatta, Mon 27 to Wed 29 Dec, 2010.

darcy1945

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hear what you are saying Rodney, that would make 2 regattas gone from Port Stephens, the winter and the summer. Sad way for sailing to be going .

I would love to have been sailing at toukley but I too am at the outlaws, in sunny Brisbane (rained since we got here on the 23rd), hopefully I will get a sail in at Trial Bay on the way back down the coast, (the boat was left at my mums in Kempsey).

I don't have any answers as to why there is less and less interest in regattas, nor any solutions to the loss of people to sailing in general

Phil

I don't have any answers as to why there is less and less interest in regattas' date=' nor any solutions to the loss of people to sailing in general[/quote']

hi Phil

I think the reasons are many and varied for why people don't attend regattas or go sailing in general.

Not in any particular order, but here goes...my thoughts

High cost of getting into a competitive boat. (after all if you go racing you want to win, so boat needs to be competitive)

Lack of disposable income to fund a boat.

Families being fractured by having different interestes eg. son plays football, cricket ..daughter does the horsey thing ... mum wants to shopping ...in other words no one is at the same place at the same time.

Sailing is too hard and I don't have time to learn another skill.

I want this class of boat but at the local sailing club they sail that class so I won't fit in.

I am sure there many other reasons as well

As an aside there is a very interesting thread at the moment on the Radio Sailing web site discussing the high cost of entry to radio sailing ... any thing up to $6000 for a one metre long boat.

have a look at http://www.radiosailing.org.au ..>then ARYA Forum..>then the third heading down "General Discussion", at the moment it is the top most thread and looks like staying there for a while as people seem to be getting quite heated about it.

Harry

Archived