Remving Rudders help - Wanted maricat jib

mk1991

Hi,

Iv just brought a maricat that im fixing up. I need to remove the rudders to do some work on the hulls. Can anyone tell me how there attached because there screwed into the hull from the outside and there is no way to tell whats inside the hull. I dont want to take them off and relise that i cant get them back on. Any help would be great!

Also im after a second hand jib if anyone has one that would be great. Im from vic and dont mind going to melb to pick it up.

Thanks guys

Removing rudders

The rudder gudgeons are attached by SS metal threads into an alloy frame that is glassed on the inside of the transom. Due to a chemical reaction between the different metals many of these metal threads are super difficult to remove. If you are lucky enough to be able to remove yours then you should have no trouble putting them back on later.

cutting inspection ports into the rear is a given when fiddling with the rudder gudgeons. Humungus2 will sell you a pair that have curved bases to fit the rear deck, actually not expensive either (unless you have a set lying around).

At the same time you could bog up the bungs - like the sandwich boats, that way you'll never forget them again. I use a small pump on the end of a drill to drain it now (or you can use a sponge!).

post-15551-13776299226704_thumb.jpg

Archived