Hull Repairs - Fibreglass

iOrion

Hey guys.

I've finished dismantling my Windy for repairs this week and had a look at a spot on the very bottom of my starboard hull which had been weaping and taking on some water. The area that is damaged was from a previous repair job by the previous owner and looks like the whole area in the very middle of the hull has been re-fibreglassed. I need to get this fixed ASAP so I was wondering the best way to approach it? I can't physically get in behind where the hull has been damaged (from the inside) so any repairs I do do will need to be done to the exterior. It's been suggested to me that I use fibreglass filler to fill it and then run cloth over the top, but what about gel coat. Both hulls are getting sanded back this week so I will have an opportunity for a better look in the next few days, but I really want to get on top of this for paint on Sunday.

Help appreciated. Cheers

Antony, ignore the comment about buying another boat. None of the boats on ebay are race worthy and would be a major step backwards.

Don't use gel coat, it wont work. You'll need some polyester resin, hardner, the powdered fiberglass filler and cloth (chopstrand). An angle grinder to take out a bit of the old repair and then you proceed to build up the area with cloth.

I'd help but I don't have time atm.

Michael

Absolutely, Michael. I've committed to this boat and have already invested too much to just get a new boat. Damage is minimal - at least the hull isn't destroyed.

I went and picked up a fibreglas repair kit at lunch and got some filler as well.

Guess I just need some instruction on what/how to do it. The question about the Gel Coat was more in relation to whether or not I will need to regel coat the hull once repaired?

Archived