16 v 18 v tiger

joe the chicken

Recently sold my skiff so am looking to move into cats, was looking at 16, 18 or tiger so have a few questions. Would be club sailing out of Speers Point or Mannering Park, with my kids as crew and a combined weight of 170kg (kids are 13/14).

The 16's seem to be a strong National class but not at club level ??, also a bit concerned they may be a bit slow and boring under our weight.

The 18's and tigers do not seem very strong at National level I thing about half a dozen boats why is this, are they a dieing class. Had and old 18 many moons ago and found them fast and user friendly (but never raced)

Not haveing a lot of knowledge on racing hobies I am interested in the advice of those who know the class.

Get a Nacra 5.8. It answers all your questions. Good a club level and good at national level. They are also an exciting ride and plenty being built again.

The H18 is a dying class unfortunately. The 16 is an awesome boat but lacks the upwind speed of a 5.8 which is lightening. Off the wind the 16 reaching is awesome but a 5.8 will go past one. You need a big boat with the 170kgs. Tiger good but super heavy but have good fleets and the kite makes it fun downwind.

Go to a club and sail them all as they guys will be happy to take you for a ride.

You can get a good 2nd hand 5.8 for around $6k and even less for a slightly older boat. Some as little as $3,500.

Good luck.

Poor Form spruiking a NACRA in a Hobie sailors forum.

JonJay has been working at building the H18 fleet. The fleet is growing with a return of heavier crews looking for close competition. H18 are cheap and a good fleet turned up at Coffs for the State. Over 50 Hobies in the shore at Coffs Jetty looked great.

visit http://hobie-au.ning.com/ for more

The guys at the club will set you up.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with nacra 103 check out the clubs, Manno has Hobie 18, Nacra 5.8 & Taipan's but would say H16 & Taipan no good for weight. Depends where you live as to Speers or Manno but most welcome to check out Mannering Park any Saturday. Good close racing but also good fun social atmosphere to the club now with the refurbished clubhouse.

Archived