Stingray Measurement Schedule

Hello all Stingray owners.

The class is currently reviewing some aspects of Stingray measurements. We are particularly looking at the mainsail and propose to make a big head main the standard.

We'd like input on the detail from all interested owners.

If you would like to be included in the discussion, please post your email here or if you would prefer, give me a call on 0409370641.

Cheers

John Dowling

Stingray 589

• 3 weeks later...

Brian - if there was the same amount of wind on PPB as there was on the Gippsland Lakes it was a light series!

John - Have any other opinions rolled in... It would be interesting to hear from Todd! I know Brett doesn't care - He is just happy to come and sail, Todd probably much the same.... They are fast enough with old mains anyway!

Mitch

Nothing further than the emails I have already circulated. I did seek comment on retaining the long foot with the big head from some high profile pro sailors I encountered in Melbourne. Nothing positive out of that! I can expand when I email the group. Soon as Rex gets me the constitution to verify the amendments against provisions there I'll send out a final draft for vote.

McCrae lived up to it reputation on the long weekend - no wind Saturday, 4-6 Sunday morning, 27 Sunday afternoon, 10-12 shifty Monday. No good results for me - old age and broken gear intervened - Ashby cleaned up the 50 boat fleet.

Shame to hear John - Although when I hear broken and A-class I cant help but see $$ and wonder about weight :p Maybe its time to upgrade to the DNA... or is it DNA mk2,,,, or Double DNA... or whatever seems to be happening in the A's.... seems to be a LOT of movement in the last few years!

Regarding Foot Length.... I would LOVE to see/trial a short foot version of the main, and I completely understand the comments from the pros, and the maths as well! BUT AGAIN - the stingray is a 50yr old hull design and there do seem to be some exceptions to what SHOULD and shouldn't work.... If you have sailed against Justin Forrester and his mainsail you will laugh to yourself and think "HOW???"

All this chat makes me want to sail.... Easter cannot come soon enough!!!!

Hi Mitch and Brian,

Glenn's a great sailor and a pleasure to sail with - certainly doesn't get boring! Just a minor breakage for me - boom to mast join - a mate glued in a bit of carbon tube and I was ready to go to Sydney - cost a couple of beers. We all know the deal sailing A's - it's a development class. I always tell people not to sail one unless they can afford it - they're addictive.

Now back to Stingrays. It's a fundamental question for the class - stay retro or update the main to something that works and looks modern too. There are good arguments for either approach. However I don't believe a half-assed approach of using a big head with the old long foot has any merit. It doesn't look the part and it will be very hard to get the performance boost people are looking for.

Mitch - if you want to get an idea borrow a current generation F18 main and give it a run on your Stingray.

I've sailed 5 nationals and a few other regattas with Justin. He's quick in a blow - particularly with Bill on board. Just imagine if he had a decent main!

I'm also sailing my Stingray at Easter with my daughter - first time in 18 months - hope all the crap weather we've been having is gone by then.

Cheers

ok the question remains now mitch, if we make the short footed mainsail a choice, so you can have either 2.00 or 2.20 foot. with all the info that JD has provided to us.

if you were ordering a new mainsail from greg, cos i know you wont buy from anyone else :) , which one are you ordering????

FOR SALE - Stingray Long footed BIG HEAD mainsail - Very good condition, full set of Medium Fibrefoam Battens!

1500 ONO

..... if it sells I'll have a crack at the short foot!

brian - I will do what Greg thinks I should.... BUT.... i'll ask him to recut/replace if needs be! There has already been some mods to the currents sail.... but making it fuller was the idea.... ie creating more drag :p

hahahahahaahahahah :)

i think if you reduced the height of your mast, coefficiently that will reduce the drag and stop the back end of the boat sinking. due to the lerverage factor of 9 : 5.5. you should reduce your mast height to 5.5m. you will increase your speed by a percentage 0f 42.3 %

Hi all, stupid question time!!

How much shorter will the new foot be compared to now, will we need to shorten our booms, and if so is there scope to do this and keep the main sheet blocks vertically alligned?

Also, im assuming that the old style main will still be class/race legal for those who may not have the cash to upgrade at the moment; and so people can buy an old stingray, dust off the cobwebs and join in racing without needing to fork out and upgrade just to be class legal.

We dont need to do anything to deter potential new stingray owners, im sure we all want to see more returning to the water........

absolutely spot on kev. to answer your questions, to start with the boom/foot of the mainsail has been suggested that we shorten the foot to 2.200. this is still up to discussion.

yes all existing measured sails will be "grandfathered" that is, if it was legal when it was measured, then its legal now.

i dont think that having your sheet blocks vertically aligned is the way to go, i think you need to have the top blocks further back than the traveller blocks, for mast twist.

the boom, at a 2.2 foot, should equate to a boom length of 2.250 - 2.300 metres. the distance of rear of main beam to front of rear beam is 1.980. this should leave more than enough room to hang sheet blocks behind the traveller track.

if you want to pass on your email to myself or john dowling via private message here is fine. either of us can CC you into the email discussions. and you can read the suggestions that have been put forward.

cheers BP

Hi all, stupid question time!!

How much shorter will the new foot be compared to now, will we need to shorten our booms, and if so is there scope to do this and keep the main sheet blocks vertically alligned?

Also, im assuming that the old style main will still be class/race legal for those who may not have the cash to upgrade at the moment; and so people can buy an old stingray, dust off the cobwebs and join in racing without needing to fork out and upgrade just to be class legal.

We dont need to do anything to deter potential new stingray owners, im sure we all want to see more returning to the water........

What Brian said Kev.

The proposals being discussed among Stingray owners at the moment include keeping all existing class legal sails as legal. It also includes maintaining class legal status for some big head experimental sails which have been used in the last couple of Nationals. The intention is to include as many boats as possible and not cause extra cost for people who just want to have a go. It is even likely that F18 mains will be legal so that second hand sails could be purchased at reasonable cost and still have the benefit of a modern design sail.

The current rules have foot length at 2450. Detailed discussion with sailmakers/boat builders has resulted in a proposal for a foot of 2200. This is based on the beam to beam measurement of the boat and the need to have a sheeting angle about 100 past the rear beam in the centre. This allows enough boom end pressure for good rotation both up and down wind. It is the same measurement relationship as the Taipan 4.9, C2, and Viper and is proven to work. A simple boom can be made from basic round tube and the mainsheet blocks simply hung from the Clew using a loop or even a couple of turns of dyneema. The outhaul is a line from the clew through an exit sheave then inside the boom and out to a cleat in the centre. Simple and cheap and doesn't have to be very strong. Another way if you want to keep the existing boom is to simply make a longer outhaul line.

Disagree slightly with Brian on the actual boom length though. It needs to be 2400 for a 2200 foot length. Adding 200 to the foot length of the sail is a good rule of thumb.

Cheers

Will be staying at golden beach, so if i sail i'll probably go out from Lochsport, just so i will have at least got it wet once this summer....autumn??

Even my flash new trap harness is gathering dust....If time and family permit I was hoping to drive around to paynesville ( an hour & half away?) just to catch up with Mitch (need to give him a ribbing about mponr..) but wasnt thinking of towing the boat there too.

• 1 year later...

Archived