PT Masts

PT Sailor

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get your opinions on the masts being used by PT's at the moment. I have an older mast (not sure what type) and wanted to get opinions on whether there would be any performance benefit in upgrading to a newer mast?

Is there any difference in performance and strength between the US Mast and P.T Star China Mast?

Thanks for the help in advance

A couple of years ago I upgraded from an old elliptical mast (circa 1978) to a new "Chinese'" section, and immediately gained 5 minutes per race.

It seems that getting air flow from the leeward side of the mast onto the sail, instead of turbulence, increased the effective sail area by about 1msq. Huge!

It's also worth upgrading if your mast is bent, and keeps wanting to rotate the wrong way on one tack. This is both annoying and slows you down. It is possible to straighten masts (article in APT), but in my experience the performance becomes asymmetrical; more flexible in one direction that the other. A straightened mast is also fatigued and prone to breaking.

The difference between USA and Chinese sections is bugger all. The new ones reportedly made from a better alloy, but both will fail in extreme conditions, and both provide adequate flexibility. Other sailors may disagree?

I agree with Tony that there is usually a performance advantage when switching from an old oval section to the newer teardrop sections like the USA and Chinese ones. This assumes that you have at least a reasonable sail to go with it, of course. I also agree that there is little difference between these two newer mast sections.

There is a lot that can be done to protect your mast from failure (bending or breaking). It is well worth checking out the article on the PT website about avoiding mast damage. Go to http://www.papertigercatamaran.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74&Itemid=89 and click on "Avoiding Mast Damage". I know some long-time PT sailors who have not bent or broken masts, so damage can be avoided.

Have you been in the class long? Are you sailing with an existing PT fleet? Which boat do you own?

Regards,

Dave Stumbles

Thanks guys. My boat was made in the early 90's and the mast is probably original. May be a US mast but seems a bit heavier than the new P.T Star masts and also has some corrossion and is difficult to hoist the sail up on. Looks like it may have a slight bend in it, but its not too bad and just looking to upgrade to a better condition mast.

Dave - It is Chris from qld. My boat is The Other Lady 2920

Cheers

There should be no noticable difference in weight. Maybe in the cap or mast head fittings?

silicon spray on the track helps. For really old masts I wedged some rag in there, rubbed it and down while going the spray. This removed a lot of oxide and had the sail sliding very well. You can get proper stuff from marine shops, or I found this one cheap at an auto-parts shop: http://www.wd40.com.au/3inone/silicone_spray.php

Archived