Genoa Spinnaker or Gennker feir Surfcat 12

jonjudge

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, I have recently acquired a surcat 12 and am having some fun. I would like to try to get some more speed downwind and am planning to buy an additional sail.

I have a extra pully in between the main and jib halyard pulley( about 700mm higher than jib), and I am wondering what sort of sails would work. It does sail with two people but I will mainly be sailing by myself.

I thought that a jib of a larger cat or 16ft skiff may be similar to a genoa, but i was wondering how hard is it to set a spinnaker by myself and are there any small cats sailing a gennaker?

Id appreciate any tips or ideas as I am pretty green

thanks jon

I would think that you'd be unlikely to find anything that fits. Most of the skiffs from 12 to 18 have very long sprits that rule their kites out, I have a vs skiff kite on my Careel 18 that fits perfectly but thats an 18ft boat. These things cost upwards of $2000 new and of course there are always cheap used ones but I think you need to go up a couple of sizes first.

You'd have to have a kite that's assymetric and also quite flat cut because once it gets the cat going your apparent wind is going to come right round to the front.

I had a Surfcat 12 which is actually 13ft long and had an old jib from a sharpie on it from that higher pulley and that worked okay, you should be able to get one for not much and use your existing jib leads. They carry some weight heres a link to some pics of the boat with an Arafura Cadet jib on it and my daughter taking a friend and his kids out

http://beachcatsaustralia.ning.com/photo/albums/windrush-12-catamaran

Archived