Nacra 5.0 1 up?

Tripletach

Hi Guys,

I am New to Cat sailing and relatively new to sailing. I want to buy a Cat and I really like the look of the Nacra 4.5 and 5.0 and even 16sq. I want to race it with my 13 yo son who is in the junior sailing program but also sail on my own. Would the 5.0 be OK for this? Can the 5 be Cat rigged and sailed one up? The 4.5 seems like a one up only for racing where the 5.0 a 2 up only racer? Hard to find a straight answer on this in any of the literature. Sorry if these are obvoius questions for the experienced but I don't have anyone local who sails one. Hoping I can be the start of a trend but not too concerned about that as apart from Hobies (not interested) there aren't too many of any one type here at the moment.

I am South of Adelaiade.

Tripletach

Good question, I race a 4.5 sports single handed however have raced two up on many occasions. The 4.5 was developed as a father and son combination and is still a great choice for that purpose in fact when the wind speed goes past about 15 knots they are actually faster with a bit more crew weight. As regards the 5.0 it is purely a two person boat and cannot be raced one up. As regards numbers of boats racing , the 4.5 is much more popular in Queensland and N.S.W than the 5.0 however cannot comment on your part of the world. My oponion is go the 4.5 and when your son gets too big, get another and show him who's the boss in a match race. I would recomend against sailing a 5.0 on your own as they are very difficult to right and don't sail well cat rigged.

I don't want to get offside with the NACRA owners but here's my thoughts as an ex 4.5 owner. A mosquito would be a far better boat for you. Here's why:

- established fleet in Adelaide

- get a good composite boat for $6k

- far nicer to sail, it will flog a 4.5

- 85kg vs 130+kg

- better one up boat

- better two up boat (father and son)

- both have a spi if desired but on the mozzy you can race with it

- have an advantageous VYC

- spares will cost 0.5 of a NACRA

Don't believe what I have to say, ring up the local Mozzie guys and ask one of them for a test sail. It is likely they will oblige and they may find you a good boat.

Jon

Not a mozzy owner

Hi Jon,

Thanks, I would actually prefer a Mossie but only a composite one and hard to find at the moment in my price range. The only full composite one I know of for sale they want $13K. Most others for sale are ply and in various condition. Thanks for your post though. It helps with the decision making. I'll just have to be patient and wait for the right one to come up. Pete.

I have to offer that the 5.0 is an extremely versatile boat that can be raced 1 up without the jib easily. I weigh 85kg and have had no problems, and have righted it easily. With a lighter crew member and the jib added we twin trap and have sailed it (at a pinch) with 4, one on the wire. In terms of bang for buck I think the proof is how fast they sell even in these bad boat-selling times. After I was silly enough to sell my old one 8 years ago, I just found one a few months back and we are absolutely loving it. Another mate has only just picked on up after the one in Brisbane disappeared before he could chase it down, so he drove to Yamba to get one advertised here. The selling prices seem to be consistent also.

Archived