Please Help

Malcolm 2115

Hi my name is Malcolm Wiedemann i am from Concord Ryde Sailing Club in Sydney i sail a 4.3 m 1982 Maricat sail number 2877 and i was wondering how far back the pros have there mast racked past the back beam for a super sloop. As i am curentley playing with the posishion of my mast using shakels at the top of my jib strop and when i am happey with it's posishion i will then re make my jib strop .

All coments are aprecheated Thanks. Malcolm

Ok thanks but how far in mm is the mast set past the back beam i now that some people sail with ther mast 200 mm past ther back beam so i need a gemeral gide as i do not fulley understand your messege as i have been tolled by diferint people to rack the mast as far as possible and i am triying to find that spot . Regads Malcolm

which people are raking BEHIND the rear beam. Most I've seen is either directly above or 1 or 200m in front of the rear beam.

I had the honour of sailing Mick's foamy and his mast certainly wasn't behind the rear beam.

If you want, take Darcy's advice and use the 5m side stays, shackle them directly to the anchor point and then adjust your forestay to suit, try that, I don't think you'll like it.

I don't think that even the 'modern' mainsail with its higher cut clew will work with the mast top behind the rear beam. Also the angle of the forestay would become a bit tricky.

My limited experience on Maricats found with too much rake the boat went into irons on every tack, and I got smacked in the head while gybing.

If it's not raked enough, then you would expect to find other boats point higher, and it might nosedive more easily.

Adjusting so that the boom is parallel to the trampoline is a good starting point; you can do this regardless of stay lengths or other measurements.

Hey Malcolm

My mast and Micks mast are almost at the exact amount of rake, I may have a smidge more than him at the moment. See the photo attached, if you hold a rule up to the photo on the screen and drop vertically it to the deck that will give you some idea. Ignore the sail with the "window" in it.(that was not a good race for me) the boat is sitting fairly level there.

Phil

post-6864-13778265595879_thumb.jpg

Another photo with a bit better angle and no "window sail this time. We have actually brought our masts forward from this slightly, over the last couple of months to see if it has made a difference with speed in lighter conditions, or whether the boat started to want to nose dive more on the reach. So far moving them forward has been benificial and we have had no nose dives.

post-6864-13778265596159_thumb.jpg

Archived