16sq shrouds plastic coated or not.

Tripletach

I am looking at replacing the shrouds on my 16sq as I don't know how old they are. I notice that anywhere the plastic coating is cut or damaged the cable has some signs of corrosion. The forstays are not coated and look in good condition. I also can't inspect the cable that is covered in the PVC. I am guessing it is coated to protect the sail but has anyone tried a non covered cable on the shroud of a 16sq? Is there any class rule that would prevent this? Opinions?

Cheers

Pete

The plastic coating doesn't prevent corrosion, it does hide it though. I'd say if you can see rust then you should replace the rigging soon.

Stainless steel is only stainless when it's in the air, if it isn't then it can corrode. I have U bolts on my Careel 18 for chainplates and have a set which have corroded through - it's where they go through the deck - can be quite dangerous - one of the U bolts actually became a J bolt one windy day, thankfully it held and the rig stayed up.

Don't know about the class rules, certainly the Maricat rules require plastic.

Don't mistake discolouration for corrosion, the plastic coating protects the sails from chaffing but its main concern is to protect body parts which come into abrupt contact from damage, the first time you come off the trap at 20kts and are stopped by a bare wire forestay or sidestay you will be a believer. Maris have coating on all wires (stays and dolphin striker) except halliard. Jimbo, your "U" bolt would have corroded because of a chemical reaction with the F/glass, it is a common failure.

Archived