Melbourne Winter Sailing

Hi everyone,

I'm moving closer to the water shortly, and since i'll be just a few minutes drive from the boat ramp (south east melb) i'm keen to get my cat out on the water as soon as I can (summer is way too long to wait :)).

Do any of you guys and girls in Melbourne take your boats out this time of year? If so, what do you wear so you don't die from those freezing waters?

I've got a ronstan skiff suit, and will buy a splash jacket and wetsuit boots. Will that be enough do you think? I don't plan on taking it out on very windy days, so will minimise the risk of capsizing)

Cheers,

Michael

Absolutely Darcy.

Happily Manno is extending the season but by only a few weeks (one this side, three at the end).

Now I'm old I'd need to do some preparation, like getting some extra wetsuiting and I know people go out sailing but the point of having a club, a clubhouse, crash boats, beer and bbq makes all the difference. It's also quite hard to access the water, at Manno you have to get a key to the barrier, same at Wangi. I think Budgewoi is probably accessible because it's on a public area.

Still, I have a heap to do during this winter especially, I still have a deck to build and have spent a lot of time cutting firewood (chainsaw, lugging 20-30kg logs, splitting them etc) so still getting some excercise.

We did sail Careels on Pittwater every month in Winter - absolutely best time of the year, no stinkboats, few other boats out, blue sky, mild days (but that was during the drought!). They don't do that anymore though.

Fully agree jimbo, that you can still sail in winter in Melbourne/siberia, but up in balmy Lake Macq, nup its too cold?????? I for one would still be racing at wangi if it was still on, wangi club used to get about an extra $100 from 10 odd boats for very little outlay. If I recall the only thing that stopped wangi winter sailing was that the start/rescue boat driver got a different job and could'nt attend any more. That was a really good day, when we had winter sailing, a hot pie before we went out, hot chips when we came in, a few beers in the club, hot showers too. I'd love for it to start up again. Shane, are you listening?

Phil

I'm doing the Mordialloc Sailing Winter series which starts in July, it might be better placed for you. Should be a small fleet of Taipans there.

I've just moved to Melb for work from NQLD so I'm feelling the cold but it's worth it. In the past I did the Canberra winter series, Melbourne is balmy in comparison.

Jon

Thanks for the post NACRAJON, Mordialloc sailing club isn't too far from where i'm located so that sounds great!

I'm very new to sailing, so I hope people won't mind a newbie on the waters - i see that it starts in August so that gives me abit of time to prepare.

cheers,

mick

• 3 weeks later...

Archived