Wanted new tramp for Mk 2 4.3.

cycle_mad

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

on the modern tramps (that don't have lacing in the centre) you unlace from the rear beam then slide each side forward so its out of the tracks then it just slides off the front beam, no need for removal. Installation is the reverse but it helps to put a fair amount of washing up liquid along the sides to make sliding them through the side tracks easier. It's a case of little by little, helped by the use of two people. The washing up liquid disapears after a couple of wettings.

the new tramps are diagonal cut so that when you tighten them up at the back the whole structure becomes stiffer.

it might also be a good time to check the tracks. the original flat plate often pulls up allowing the tramp to slide out. most use 'caravan' track - there are lots of posts about that around here. The bolt rope in the tramp needs to be a bit thicker too, I think 8mm, the tighter it is the less likely it is to pull out.

• 4 weeks later...

Look through a few of these similar threads and you'll find the size, they're large and long, have to use the biggest diameter on the small pop rivet gun but try to get yourself a decent gun (the concertina ones are much better), one of the recent posters cracked a bone in his hand trying to use the small gun. I gave up after one side and borrowed Darcy's, then bought my own ($20 Chinese jobbie). Use sikaflex between the track and the deck, then rivet and I don't think you'll have a problem again.

You'll need a thicker bolt rope though. Use washing up liquid as a lubricant as it washes out after a few sails.

J

I used 3/4 x 3/16 diam splayed rivets on mine. After filling the holes with epoxy and redrilling using the old strip as a template I used splayed rivets as some of the holes after drilling out had cracked around the edges and by using splayed rivets they splay out like petals and pull up on the surface around the hole in stead of trying to spread the hole before breaking off. A little bit dearer to buy but 3/16 rivets aren't cheap anyway. The caravan sales and repair place had the track, I got the splayed rivets posted from WURTH Aust. Take Jimbo's advice re the rivet gun, my arm and hands are still recovering and as he says, with Sikaflex and the right bolt rope the job is solid as a rock.

Ross

Archived