No dolphin-striker on my Hydra??

ozwalker

I only just realised that there is no dolphin striker on the Hydra I bought recently. And no sign of one ever having been there. But I've seen photos and videos of other Hydras that have them.

Do I have a problem?? : )

Also what forum should I be posting Hydra stuff to? I think they are made by Maricat??

Well, it will be a while before I sail the boat solo so the weight will be two blokes (probably 180-200kgs) and it already has a trapeze wire which I intend to use. And there is no point having a boat that you have to beach every time the wind gusts up. So I guess you're saying I need to add one??? Any comments on whether this is difficult to do?

Definately need a dolphin striker. Very similar to a cobra and my front beam lasted about half a second when the dolphin striker broke. Not hard to build. Just find a boat with an adjustable striker and copy. 5-7mm stainless rod should be heaps. Can go aluminium straps but I tend to find the aluminium doesn't last as long and you will probably have to replace it every 4 years or so depending on where you sail. Stainless usually lasts as long as the quality of your welds. When mine broke it was actually the nut sheared off

If you want people to help you the cobra guys are pretty good. We have had a combined nationals and the boats are very similar except for if you have the big head mainsail.

Thanks for the comments. There is nothing on Hydra that indicates how/where a dolphin striker could be mounted, such as hole under the mast step for a striker rod, or any way of connecting the rods/lines to the ends of the front beam. If anyone has a Hydra with a dolphin striker fitted, a few photos of the key bits of the arrangement would be very valuable ... Thank, Paul

I wouldn't think a Hydra really needs one, they have a pretty big front beam. I sailed my ex-boat on Sunday in 18 to 20 with myself at 100kg and crew at 130kg, it's an old boat with plenty of miles on it and never had a striker. I've got another Hydra, that doesn't have a striker either.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived