Stolen items

Anna

Hello. This is a great forum, sadly my first post is brought about by an act of unkindness.

Is there anywhere where cat sailors record stolen gear to help deter thieves using ill gotten stuff. Clearly the relevant law enforcement people have more than enough to do without worrying about old stolen sails etc which have little value and are after all, only leisure items.

Recently someone used bolt cutters to remove a sizeable padlock on my gear box (located inside my yard) to steal a Maricat main, jib, boom and assorted fittings. The mainsail in particular can be identified apart from distinctive colouring , predominately orange and yellow with several blue stripes it has a sail number 754. The jib is yellow and red stripes.

Obviously this person/s was after specific gear, that is disappointing because the thief must be a cat sailor. Apart from the problems, financial and inconvenience of getting the boat sailable again so the kids can use it over Christmas, its terrible that a fellow sailor will benefit from such a cheap trick.

If there was a central data base of stolen gear nice people could avoid buying hot stuff and maybe the incidence of such events might reduce.

Rergards Anna

• 2 weeks later...

STOLEN from Hobie Cat at Wallagoot Lake, far-south coast NSW:

complete set of rudders, all other removable deck fittings.

This cat has been parked on the lake shore for 20years without incident, ready for its local owners to jump and board go for a hoon. They are quite upset about this low act, which makes their boat unusable. As the replacement cost is higher than the boat's worth, the theft has effectively robbed them of the entire boat and the wonderful joy of sailing.

Please keep a look-out for anyone trying to hot cat parts. (I know it's no Darcy his parts are cool!).

Anyone with info please contact the Wallagoot Lake Boat Club; wallagoot@yahoo.com.au

• 2 weeks later...

Stole Me provides a highly effective tool in helping to reduce crime and recover lost or stolen property or pets. If you have lost or had items stolen register to become a member, then login before listing your lost or stolen items. This will increase visibility, prevent re-sale, and ultimately aid recovery. If you are a prospective buyer or trader of second hand goods, you can search this site to reduce the risk of buying or trading stolen goods.

Archived