14' cat regatta to accept 15, cats?

Should the highly successfull Mannering Park 14' cat reggatta cater for cats to 15'/4.8m ie, nacra 4.8, prindle 15 etc. This would get cats that do not have large fleets into an extremely competetive regatta. I would not expect more than 6-8 extra cats. Your thoughts, opinions, criticisms.

I'll start !!

I think including the 4.5s maybe OK. The Nacra 4.5 at Toukley was in the bunch, but 4.8 may be too big and defeating the purpose of a 14ft regatta. Also "open" class cats with spinnakers may not be good.

Also a junior or novice division (one less lap per race ??) may be good to encourage more participants.

If the 15s were racing against us would they still be on their yardstick or would it be a one in all in senario. If they were still using their yardstick then yes, what the hell, the more small cats we can get sailing the better and as said these guys probably dont have much else to sail against these days.

Phil

As the event coordinator for Koonawarra Bay Sailing Club's annual 14ft cat regatta, I have also faced this question a few times over the 16 years we have been running the event.

Our original concept for the event was based on a number of aims, one of which was to foster excellent racing among similar boats and another was to provide an event where 14ft cats were not treated like a "poor cousin". We were finding that many of the open cat regattas were very focused on the big cats with little regard for the small boats.

So we have continued to remain a 14ft (or less) only event, as we believe that formula provides the best racing situation. All boats in the regatta enjoy great racing, even among different classes and different rig configurations. We don't see a handful of boats racing off into the distance on a regular basis. This formula has provided excellent racing and good-natured rivalry among the various classes.

It also allows all the 14ft cat sailors to know that the regatta is focused on them and that they are not taking a back seat to faster, larger or more "elite" classes.

I would imagine that allowing 15ft boats this year will then provide a platform down the track for allowing 16ft boats and so it goes on. Before you know it, it will be an open cat regatta. While it may be of benefit for the club to allow more boats, to me it will rob the event of its special character.

I am certainly not against open cat regattas. They can be excellent events. But there are already plenty of them (maybe too many), whereas 14ft cat regattas are a rare (and highly enjoyable) thing.

Mannering Park's 14ft cat regatta is already a large and successful event. I don't believe that expanding its boundaries will improve it.

When you're on a good thing……

Dave.

Dave , thanks for your input .The idea was only to give the odd 15s a regatta to sail where they can finish with the fleet. We already have a succesfull Open cat regatta so there would be no chance of the 14 cat regatta going that way. Any more kids or ideas for the sub junior class?

I think that a junior class 12 and under is a fantastic idea. I know that when jas was this age and he raced against the main stay (men) he did feel intimidated with the distance between 1st place and himself. hopefully it will encourage more kids to sail in the regatta. You could also include the novice kids who are slightly older but are just beginning. Just don't forget that there are other juniors that will be sailing.

Archived