new committee

Scuttlebutt

Hi all , on the weekend we had an AGM and the following people were elecled by the members present to represent you. Congradulations to phil Johnson as president. Rodney as vice. Scotty as treasurer. Mark colecliffe as Secretary. Thanks to the previous committee for their efforts. If you have any issues you wish the current committee to consider then please feel free to send correspondence to markcolecliffe@yahoo.com.au and I will ensure that it is dealt with by the committee.

Thanks for that Mark

Yes I am now the president, "hooray for me".  It was not really something that I wanted (read I did not want it at all), but I accepted as I feel that all members should have a run on the committee to share the load, and so I accepted.  If anyone is not happy with how I perform please let me know and I'll be sure to nominate them for President next year.

On the subject of yardsticks, let me say that we had an AGM on Sunday morning that was supposed to start at 8am, there was hardly anyone there, so we postponed it to 8.30 am to allow for latecomers, the yardstick item was brought up in general business and it went to a show of hands as to accept it or not, as I recall it was clearly for acceptance by all sailors and owners grp and foam.  If members don't turn up to the AGM, how can they have their say.  If I didn't vote in the recent Federal election am I entitled now to complain about the outcome seeing as I was not concerned enough about it on ballot day?

Mick did put it out to all concerned previously on facebook and here that we would have discussion on possible changes to the class, re trap for juniors in cat, spinnakers, diamond stays on the mast etc, so there was a warning that this kind of stuff would be discussed.

Phil

So, the Maricats start arriving today at Queens Lake for the pe-state titles tuning. An ACT boat normaly sailed by a lovley lady (Donna Grant (ex- SS natioanl champ) is the one for the lady Krystal Weir (laser olympian). The other boat is from Port Stephens and will be saild by a top class sailor to be anounced very soon.

Great sponsorship to be anounced next week, tropies for all divisions. Huge tropie for best on handicap thanks to Mid Coast Sails (Rohan).

We have an anousment regarding assoiciation news.

The AGM will be held on the Sunday Morning at 8am at the Queens Lake sailing club.

ACT guys are flying up to sail, More boats being piggy backed then ever before.

Don't be one of the few to miss this huge event.

If you can't make it, lend your boat to somone who can.

5th line down AGM 8am SundayMorning Queens Lake Sailing Club.

(This is a paste and copy of Micks post of 31 August 2013 at 6.43AM)

So if crews didn't have the opportunity to go to the State Titles and this mentioned AGM  then it's too bad for them and they must adhere to the wishes of the select few who did attend?

I think this will be a case of "If you dont agree with the decision made at AGM then you are welcome to buy a different class Cat".

Those Nacra 4.3s are looking better everyday.

So, the Maricats start arriving today at Queens Lake for the pe-state titles tuning. An ACT boat normaly sailed by a lovley lady (Donna Grant (ex- SS natioanl champ) is the one for the lady Krystal Weir (laser olympian). The other boat is from Port Stephens and will be saild by a top class sailor to be anounced very soon.
Great sponsorship to be anounced next week, tropies for all divisions. Huge tropie for best on handicap thanks to Mid Coast Sails (Rohan).
The AGM will be held on the Sunday Morning at 8am at the Queens Lake sailing club.
If you can't make it, lend your boat to somone who can

Copied and pasted from Micks Facebook sailing buddies page (31 August 2013 6.45am)

So, the Maricats start arriving today at Queens Lake for the pe-state titles tuning. An ACT boat normaly sailed by a lovley lady (Donna Grant (ex- SS natioanl champ) is the one for the lady Krystal Weir (laser olympian). The other boat is from Port Stephens and will be saild by a top class sailor to be anounced very soon.

Great sponsorship to be anounced next week, tropies for all divisions. Huge... tropie for best on handicap thanks to Mid Coast Sails (Rohan).

If you can't make it, lend your boat to somone who can

(Cut and pasted from the MARICAT Assoc Facebook site)

•  
  • Members
  • 807 posts
  • LocationLemon Tree Passage

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

Hi guys, just putting it out their. Because we will be holding an AGM at the States, it's the only time to make changes if we want to. Lets say cat rigged with trap. This will help the newer sailors ease into super sloop. Lets say super sloop spinnaker rigg. (SSS) For the guys who think they can handle it. I am not talking square top mains but maybe running the smaller jib with the spinnaker. We would need the Manufactures aproval. The Manufacture is considering a set of dimonds to stiffen the mast for the heavier guys on trap. He is also going to make an adjustable mast base (rotation) The manufacture will need to look at the structual side of things. They want to keep the class going. They invested a huge amount of money into haveing jigs and molds made that are only suited for the Maricat. They are listing to us so heres a chance to have your say. If you think the boats are to pricey or you would purchase a set of hulls at a certain price. let me know. Give us some feedback. Your thoughts guys. These changes are inexpencive and optional. I feel as I am sure we all do that the only way to move the class forward is to get the younger generation involved and these changes will allow the boats to go quicker with the extra weight that we seem to be carring as we get old. The class measurer will be at the states so make sure you are up to spec. Plastic coated stays and striker. The list goe's on.

#2 icon_share.png Mako
Mako

•  
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

Why not Mylar square top mains and kites (the windies changed to Mylar sails)? It may attract newcomers into an already established class, the young kids look at the modern boats and they see that they are all carrying square tops and kites and they want to sail something that looks like those more modern rigs. As I sail sloop, I know my son would like the look of a more modern rig and it may start people thinking about ordering new boats again. This could be a can of worms?

#3 icon_share.png richard campbell
richard campbell

•  
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Why would you want to splinter a class into the have and the have not's, That's why a lot of guys sail mari's, so it's not an arms race. You start putting spreaders onto masts and adjustable rotation, It changes the whole rig dynamics. It's about a class of boats being able to sail up to a start line and know the guy next to him has very very close to the same gear as he has. Just my 2 cents worth Richard

#4 icon_share.png Mako
Mako

•  
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

I don't have a foam maricat with radial cut sails which i think would be more of the have and have nots but i would probably be prepared to upgrade the rig to be more competitive before i could afford a new boat, plus the maricat is raced in 3 configurations which is not one design and when you throw in the foam boats you have 6 x different boats and yardsticks effectively, and if it encourages new people into the class I'd at least like to see it discussed with the pros and cons. Sure you will have a time while people change over but the windies seemed to cope with that ok.

#5 icon_share.png darcy1945
darcy1945

•  
  • Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

The only windies at states and nationals are foam, or, rarely ( bulkhead) with mylar sails, the square top is currently a disadvantage because of the 3% yardstick penalty with no proven performance increase. I don't believe that the current simple and strong rig can be improved, but I would be happy to be proven wrong. Mick, try the mods you have suggested and give some feedback. I would like to see a spin rig Mari against a similar rigged Nacra 430

• 2 weeks later...

So if crews didn't have the opportunity to go to the State Titles and this mentioned AGM  then it's too bad for them and they must adhere to the wishes of the select few who did attend?

I think this will be a case of "If you dont agree with the decision made at AGM then you are welcome to buy a different class Cat".

Those Nacra 4.3s are looking better everyday.

Hey interested I see you are talking about the weight of maricats, have you weighed a Nacra 430 they are up around and even over 130kgs. If I remember rightly one was weighed at 135kgs.

Archived