"Tuning Your Calypso 16" by Barry Allen - Can I upload?

Hi All

I have a copy of a 7 page tuning guide, and I'm assuming copies were handed out by Calypso Sailcraft some years ago (as it has a CS stamp on the first page).

Barry, on the off-chance you may read this, do you have any objection to me uploading the document to this forum?

Doug

OK. I've considered the matter and I've decided that the document is in the public domain, so I'll upload it as a pdf file, in 3 parts (because of the upload size restriction)

* If you do print this document, or pass it on, please ensure the author (Barry Allen) is correctly credited.

* The document may not be used in a commercial manner without first obtaining permission from the author. It is provided here for private, instructional purposes.

Part Ia is attached.

Doug

Tuning a Calypso 16 Part Ia.pdf

When I had a blast with Robbie on his Calypso 16 on the weekend I noticed that his mainsheet to boom attachment point was a fair way behind the traveller (didn't measure but looked a good 6 inches) when the boom is centred, is that normal for Calypso 16 booms? I felt I couldn't centre the boom to point upwind without unduly compressing the boom and putting a bend in it. If it was mine I would put a new attachment point to the boom just behind the traveller but I wonder it the sails and rig were designed not to centre the boom

When I had a blast with Robbie on his Calypso 16 on the weekend I noticed that his mainsheet to boom attachment point was a fair way behind the traveller (didn't measure but looked a good 6 inches) when the boom is centred, is that normal for Calypso 16 booms? I felt I couldn't centre the boom to point upwind without unduly compressing the boom and putting a bend in it. If it was mine I would put a new attachment point to the boom just behind the traveller but I wonder it the sails and rig were designed not to centre the boom

Jeff, I was meaning to ask you about this again! So you think just behind the traveler is a better? Check out this hand out from calypso, it's hard to see but it looks like their booms are bending a fair bit too when it's sheeted in... Hard to know if that's a design fault or like that for a purpose.

http://www.johncrawfordmarine.com.au/trailer-sailer/library/cat_view/27-trailer-sailer-library/100-calypso-cats

Yep that's the same bend, I think you are putting undue stress on your boom and boom gooseneck and I feel you can't centre the main sail even when bending the boom as your attachment is a fair way aft and therefore the sheet is still long enough to pull to leeward, therefore you can't point as well. If it was mine I would move the attachment point to just behind the traveller when centred.

I see that Chris has found another Calypso 16 for sale in the Garden Cats thread you should get one of your mates to snaffle it. Plenty of room at Milang for you maniacs to flog around

Not sure, but If you are unable to upload the rest, I have the document too and can scan and upload it.

I'm peeved that there seems no reason why I can't do a further 250kB upload.

So, if you wouldn't mind, yes please upload the rest of the document.

Doug

If you make the change Robbie remember your mast and gooseneck rotate, so as a rough guide you need to rotate the mast with gooseneck at 90 degrees then allow the attachment point to be slightly behind the traveller when the boom is out about a foot from centre as that is about your reach position and you don't want the boom to be pulling away from the mast

• 4 months later...

Have a look at how many attachment points this one has on the boom in picture 2, it looks like it must double as a clothes hanger :D

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/jimboomba/sail-boats/calypso-catamaran-not-hobie/1030451071

I can answer this one. Norman Jones told me last weekend that early Calypso 16's had 2 attachment points for the mainsheet for the simple reason that double blocks were far cheaper than triples, so two blocks were fitted to the boom (3 blocks in total for the mainsheet) to keep the sticker price down! In Norman's opinion, simply using the rear of the two points is quite safe if you wish to use the later set-up of 2 blocks.

... & so that's what I'm going to do.

Doug

• 2 years later...
On 27 October 2013 at 7:18 AM, Robbieandrew said:

Not sure, but If you are unable to upload the rest, I have the document too and can scan and upload it.

I know this post is old, but is there any chance you could upload the document??

Archived