Mylar Sails

Gazereth78

Hi all

Just purchased a new boat, foam sandwich with 62 series mylar sails. Set it up in the backyard for the first time this afternoon. Can someone tell me why its so hard to get the sail up the mast? I have dry silicone in the groove but its still a hard pull. When its at the top and the downhaul set to take out the wrinkles, there is already a fair bit of mast bend. Is this normal?

cheers

Gazereth

This is about the only problem with windies, first, check the sail track for any damage (no matter how small) then the bolt rope, which may have shrunk causing the wrinkles you mention, which in turn cause cause bunching or thickening of the sail around the bolt rope, another factor could be batten tension and the amount of luff round built into the sail (Try loosening the battens completely) sail luff repairs, adjacent to the batten pockets, also thicken the sail at the bolt rope.

All of what Darcy has said above is correct.  My batten tension is just that it takes the wrinkles out - over tensioning makes my sail (6326) almost impossible to hoist.  Try some parrafin wax - simple church candle wax will do. apply it liberally to the bolt rope particularly to the back closest to the sail, this will work better than silicon spray that will stain the sail.

• 4 weeks later...

If you get the chance take your mast to Windrush and get Brett to modify the track opening. He did that to one of the guys in our club who was having lots of issues getting his new Mylar up and it completely fixed it. The sail goes up easy now.

Or if you go $400 to spend buy a new blank mast, they have a bigger bolt rope hole. If you get around to buying a new square top they don't have much luff round and go up much easier than the old Mylar's.

Another Tip for getting the mylar sails up the mast is once you get them up the initial 1/2 to 2/3's and it starts getting pretty hard , instead of pulling on the halyard put your hands either side of the sail at one of the battern positions and push the sail up , often goes up easily for a few inches , then pull up slack on the halyard & once again push the bottom section of sail up - seems to work . I struggled for years & was shown that trick by an old veteran.  Though I now have the square top mylars and as badboy said they go up a lot easier .

hope you're happy with the new foam boat Gazereth - they are hard to come by , happy sailing.  

• 1 month later...

Once again Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, they were most helpfull. I think i have it mastered now, one hand feeds the sail whilst the other hand hauls the halyard. The squaretop is the next purchase as my jib is an older 61 series and starting to delaminate. The boat is great i'm really getting the hang of it, thumping on a blistering reach in 23 knots of wind, so far down the back both feet are almost on the rudder..  lol. Anyone have the spinniker setup for the Windy? I think i'll have to have a go it looks like fun. At my club last race was between a Nacra Infusion F18, a Hobie 16, a Nacra 430 and me. I think a spinniker would help keep me competative on the downwind legs.

Cheers See you on the water

Gazereth

PS - Once again where do the Windies from Perth WA sail?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gazereth

The other Windrush sailors are just around the corner from you, They sail at Safety bay Yacht club. Look it up, Anthony Saw is the commodore. He sails a Windrush, they have about 10 Windrush a week sail there. The only other club in Perth is Shelly on the river but I've not been there.

I'm thinking of coming down for your cat regatta, weekend after Easter if I get the chance. Will there be many in the mixed cat class?

Cheers Quin

Archived