I am looking for a Nacra 16 sq

Scotta

Hi all

I am looking around at a 16sq. It does not have to be a race winner. I am going to look at one on Saturday what are the issues that I need to be aware off. I would assume that I would have to buy the New Big Top Sail to compete so really just looking for a good platform.

Thanks

16's are the same as all boats.  They are fairly tough.  just check for corrosion on the aluminium bits.  Check the deck where the skipper sits. They can get a bit soft with age.  Check the rudder gudgeons for cracks near the pin.  Rudder cases can devolop cracks on the upper side of triangle. Wouldn't be to concerned about the main.  The pintops seem to be a little quicker to winward and slower on the down winds.  probably not to the 1.5pts that VYC allow.  Bottom of centre board cases can get worn but are fairly easy to bog.  If it has an internal tramp track check to see if there is signs the tramp is popping out.  Usually means you will need an extra layer around the bolt rope or in worst case the track is cracked although I have seen these fixed fairly easily.   Check the dolphin striker.  They tend to snap under the post.  Usually only a problem if sailed regularly in big seas.  Boats from 57 onward seem to be a bit lighter but Corey won a lot of nationals on 29.  Only structural issue I have heard of in the last 12 years was a side stay pulling out of the deck. This was on a early ninties boat that had sat in the sun a lot.  They can split along the join at the bottom of the hulls but a layer of glass and you won't have it happen again.

Archived