Adjusting shroud length on the water - help please

Pete

Looking for some assistance.  I sail a Maricat, cat rigged, and I am having difficulty getting out through the shore break when the wind is blowing onshore.  I am thinking of adding some highfield levers to the shrouds so that I can have the rig more vertical while getting out through the break and then pull on the levers to lay the mast back for sailing. I was thinking that light line from the forestays (like was used way back on H14s) would be all I need to hold the mast forward as I negotiiate my way out to deeper water.

Anyone out there using a similar or better system?  I read somewhere that highfiield levers are being used on some biigger cats to help them recover from a capsize.

I would have thought that seeing as you are having to tack into the break, that you need the boat set up to go as good to windward as it can, hence raking the mast backwards, really only want the mast standing up to go downwind in light conditions.  What is the reason for wanting the mast standing up to get through the break?

With the mast raked back my cat wants to go head to wind until I can cleat the rudder blades fully home.  On my beach it is not safe to do this until you are out through the breakers. Usually not big waves, but I did once end up with the cat balanced on the two sterns and the mast tip - quite expensive.

This didn't seem to be such an issue until recently, but injuries to my back and knee have reduced my mobility and I am struggling some days to get out through the waves.

I have my rudders set up so that I can lower them from my normal sailing position.

I am hoping that I can work out a way to extend my cat sailing days by another year or two.  I have been sailing Maris since 1978.

How aboit, traveller in tight, outhaul in tight, main in just enough to generate drive at the lowest part. Then you would reach out with small lifts to bring the bow over waves.

You would go out in whichever direction gives you more reach but if the wind is directly onshore then it'd be a case of get as much speed as possible without pulling in the main too far. I've always had trouble feathering on tacks and its about getting the traveller tight at least until you get through it.

I keep thinking that a set of beach rudders would be best, maybe a thought if you're not racing! Even if you are, if the race starts from the beach and you're the one out and sailing then you'll have a head start!

Jimbos' suggestion re beach rudders, would probably be the best fix for shallow water and beaches, the loss in performance is not noticeable (unless racing). 

Your suggestion of a line to each forestay cleated on the front beam works, but, the risk of the mast jumping out of the step in waves, is a worry.

Some years ago, at the Hobie worlds (i'm not sure if it is still the case) cat rigged 14s used a very slack rig, with large bungee cord from beam to forestays, so that the rig stood up on release of the mainsheet, this was to enhance their downwind performance, might work for you. 

Archived