Weta Road Trip from Sydney to Gold Coast

PaulW

On 27th May I'm heading from Sydney to the Gold Coast towing my Weta 4.4 Trimaran - returning on 15th June.

I plan to sail at interesting places/races on the way - as well as offer a demo sail to anyone interested in the Fast, Fun, Easy Weta.

Should I stop off at your club?

Paul

Weta #325

Sydney

post-198108-0-38652100-1399559387_thumb.

• 1 month later...

Well the trip finished early as my partner had an accident when we were staying at Brunswick Heads so we never made it to the Gold Coast.

But I did have some interesting sailing along the way:

• At Port Stephens where I joined the locals in the Wednesday afternoon race
  • At Trial Bay where another Weta sailor joined me and we sailied to Smokey Cape Lighthouse and back.
  • At Brunswick Heads where you had to pick your moment to avoid the waves breaking over the bar at the river entrance -  but it was fun surfing on them on the way back from Byron Bay
  • But perhaps the best was at Ballina where there were Dolphins in the Richmond River on the way out and Whales breaching offshore once I was out on the ocean.

Wish you were there? - see below10457739_10152067264647163_6287762739799

Living in Sydney city centre, we don't own a car and use the GoGet share cars if we need one - but they don't have tow bars. So our tow car for the trip was a 5-year old Lexus RX350 4x4 with every extra from Drivemycarrentals.com.au which we rented for $49/day for 3 weeks (min 1 week) that came fitted with a tow bar. Use the Advanced Search to find cars with tow bars here http://www.drivemycarrentals.com.au/search

The Weta proved an ideal touring boat - it takes up little room on the trailer, it only weighs 100Kg and can be launched from a beach or ramp single handed in 30 mins.

And you don't have to worry about a resuce boat since it can be easily righted if it does go over (I didn't  - but I did have a "moment" in the waves).

The 1000th Weta has just shipped - not bad for a boat conceived in a garage in New Zealand in 2004, manufactured in China and now sold worldwide.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMjd5RRkleQ

You missed the Brass Monkey regatta at Toukley, but the Wetas were well represented. (4 starters) The conditions varied from mild to Wild and tested all starters. Numerous capsizes including a spectacular pitchpole by 1 of the Wetas on a wild reach under spinnaker. Hope to see the same representation or better next year.

Don't forget the 14' multihull regatta at Mannering Park (Lake Macquarie), Sep, I think.

Archived