Fitting shroud adjusters

Ben

My old Windrush 14 has a tendency to pitchpole; the good people at PKSC (Tony, as I recall) back in 2012 gave me a tip to fit shroud adjusters to permit the rigging to be tensioned without raking the mast forward (as is the case with the front stay rope tensioners my boat has). I bought the bits at the time, but only now am getting 'a round tuit'.

Before I go and stuff things up, I'd like to see if there is anything I should be mindful of when fitting the adjusters to the shrouds, other than the obvious one of "get the shrouds the right length"? I plan on hiring a swaging tool and basically shortening the existing stays such that I can insert the adjusters in place and have the limits such that at the longest I can still raise the mast and attach the shrouds, and at the shortest limit fully tensioned with maybe one pin slot to spare to allow for stretch over time (do the shrouds stretch?).

Are the Bunnings hardware store 'marine grade' swages good enough for the job?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Ben

+1. Marine in Bunnings speak is coastal/saltwater pool use. They are only for ballustrading.

Go to a chandler and make sure they know it is for rigging or you will have the same problem as they also sell crap ones for ballustrading. You'll see in the Whitworths catalogue avail. online that they clearly state on the cheapy "not for rigging".

Hi Ben, Tony here, been a little under the weather in recent days and slow to respond.  Go and see Kev at the Yacht Shop for your needs.  Not sure if the following is accurate and Paul (Just One More) or darcy will be quick to correct me if I'm wrong. To get your correct mast rake try this.  Take the mainsail halyard to the tip of the bow and mark, now take it to the back of the back beam - the distance should match, if not adjust rake accordingly.

Hope to see you on the Lake at PKSC come September. If you would like our club newsletter emailed let me know.

Thanks Tony. Turns out Kev already provided the swages in the "kit", along with the thimbles and shackles (I missed them when I had a quick peek to remind myself where I'd gotten to with this little project), so I'm good to go when I pick up a swaging tool; hopefully will make some time this Sunday. Thanks for the pointer re. geometry.

Would be happy to be on the mailing list; I've PM'd my email address.

Hi Ben, Tony here, been a little under the weather in recent days and slow to respond.  Go and see Kev at the Yacht Shop for your needs.  Not sure if the following is accurate and Paul (Just One More) or darcy will be quick to correct me if I'm wrong. To get your correct mast rake try this.  Take the mainsheet halyard to the tip of the bow and mark, now take it to the back of the back beam - the distance should match, if not adjust rake accordingly.

Hope to see you on the Lake at PKSC come September. If you would like our club newsletter emailed let me know.

Another PKSC Windy for next season?

Hope so. Unfortunately I don't get many weekends to myself - I'm still looking for the politician who'll promise us all a four day weekend every week :-).

Ben

Archived