Caper Cat 14 Restoration # 2

Hi guys, I've grabbed my second caper cat and am doing a full restoration and have a few questions now and likely a few more down the track.

Firstly, the beam bolts - without taking a saw to the hulls, does anyone know how the bolts are secured inside? Is the bolt thread glassed in or are there nuts on the inside, or were there bolt heads on the inside? I can see many holes with thread and a couple of bolts with thread sticking out - not really sure how to tackle re-attaching hulls to beam...

Who has seen the insides of a. Caper cat 14 hull before?

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi All.  I realise this is a late posting however I have just discovered this forum. 

With Caper cats becoming quite an old boat now I realise that some some old owners and new purchasers are looking at serious refurbishments. Should you have any queries about these boats please feel free to contact me. After having a few monohulls I bought my Caper when I was only a kid on the mid 80s.  I have almost 30 years experience with Caper cats and have rebuilt/repaired & made modifications to many Capers over the years.  Everything from rigging, rudders, hulls (inside and out), beams, mats and dolphin strikers. At one stage we had 8 Capers in our group.  I am sure there may be some things I may not know about capers but I am happy to share the intimate knowledge I have.

I have recently restored my old boat (again) to teach my son to sail this time.  

Spare parts are available at LR Sails.

• 4 years later...
On 10/23/2014 at 9:53 PM, Cris.D. said:

Don't worry. There's nuts glassed in the hulls. Now to get the snapped bolts out...

No there is not any nuts, they are a stainless steel flat blade screw head bolt into a tapped cast alloy bracket that is glassed into the top  deck- idiot idea as the alloy locks up with stainless, 9 times out of ten you will snap the bolt- clown of boat builder, nice hull shape but...

• 1 year later...