What pressure to run in a 4.80/4.00-8 trailer tyre

Ogre0015

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what pressure to run in a 4.80/4.00-8 trailer tyre?

It has max 90psi on the tyre for 725lb max weight written on it (or approximately that weight from memory)

90psi seems very high,my trailer is for my Windrush 14

Any advice for the pressure would be appreciated.

Thanks

Depends a bit on your trailer suspension and weight of your trailer, as a guide if your trailer springs still have a lot of bend in them once your all loaded up and the trailer easily bounces up and down you can put 38 psi in the tyres because the springs will soften the ride for your boat, if you haven't got much bend in the springs or the suspension is super stiff you can leave it at 30 psi so the tyres give a bit of suspension. Less tyre wear with the higher pressure but you don't want to shake your boat to death

The lower pressure you run, the greater area of tyre on the road, tyre will run hotter and walls will work more risking damage. 90 psi seems high, your rims would have to be in perfect condition (No corrosion or damage of any kind)  to hold that pressure. Ogre is probably close to the mark at 38psi.

I used to run my Careel 18 light truck tyres (13") at 50 psi.  Some of our Careel people had plenty of time and tried different pressures, the lower pressures (eg 38 for a 1 tonne careel) were too low and resulted in heating up.  50 meant the tyre and wheel stayed quite cool.

Test it - 38 and do a few K's then stop and feel the tyre, the wheel and the bearings.  If warm then bump it up a little.

Oh yes, that 90 psi at 750kgs is what you need the tyre to be to manage the weight.  Your Windy'll be about 300kgs on the trailer so quite a different set of rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived