Buying first Cat

Lisa3

Thanks Kingy and Darcy,

yes I an now very committed to finding a boat with plenty of spare parts. Better to wait, I think. I'm keeping my ear to the ground now for Hobie 16's as well-more plentiful up here, and the H16 social sailors are friendly and full of advice!

Perhaps in a year or two some Nacras might drop a little more in price to what I'm looking for. But now that the bug's bit, I don't want to wait.

;)

Thanks again for all the help. Cheers,

L.

Lisa, Hobie 16s are a 2 man boat, minimum crew weight around 130kg, some time and effort involved in rigging and de rigging,

will not sail cat rigged (ie without the jib), jib can not be furled as it is fully battened, post 2000 boats start around $4/5 k

older boats (all hobies) are prone to soft decks and hulls, take somebody who knows hobies with you, to look at any boat advertised.

Hi everyone,

update- I have a boat! Thanks for the info though, Niso.

Bought a 14ft Hobie from a sailor who has used it regularly, all gear, good trailer, good sails. It's weel known to a local group of Hobie sailors, so I feel more secure than trying to suss out 'strange' boats :)

So looking forward to out first sail out on the Bay! It'll take a bit of practice before we head out into winds blowing like they are today! 

Thanks again to all the replies and advice. Much appreciated :)

L.

Hi Lisa, welcome to the cat sailing fraternity and congrats on the H14 purchase.

Regarding clubs, I understand your attitude of wanting to be a loner but you really would gain a lot from being part of a club. Social sailing, non competitive racing, is so much fun. And as others have said there is the safety aspect; there is safety in numbers.

All the best in your and your sons' sailing adventures.

Greg.

Archived