Frayed wire on the jib swivel wire thingymacallit. Perhaps jib strop?

rat of vengence

Hi all. I have come here to the brains trust a few times now, and that has helped me put on my repaired tramp as well as install clam cleats for the rudder system. Next job fellas!

I am sure there is a proper name for this stay, a diagram I googled seems to say it is a jib strop. The shackle at the right attaches to the hound on the mast, the right hand side has the jib swivel (it has a furler). As you can see the wire has become somewhat frayed. 

Where can I get a replacement? I gather the swivel needs to be attached before the eyeloop is swaged.

Now if you managed to keep track through my use and abuse of nautical terminology, do you have any advice for me? :)

Dave

IMG_20151004_214108_zpssanlzz1v.jpg

The "thingy on the top of the jib" is a good enough term ... strop is also ok.

Best bet is to just take it to a boat supply shop and ask them to replace the wire.

It does look a bit short, depending on your sail cut you may like to rake your mast a bit more by making the wire a bit longer, but very hard to tell without seeing the boat, sail and set up.

That particular piece of wire has very little action, so if it has frayed, then I would be concerned about all your other wire, especially your dolphin striker.

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the replies. The boat is owned by myself and a mate; we are but enthusiastic amateurs.

Pointed, when we set up the boat there is a lot of tension on the jib wire (luff line?) to the point the front stays aren't really taking the strain. I take it this is not how it should be? 

Eragon our furler sometimes plays up, and we end up with a lot of twisting action on the line (possibly because it is under load when it shouldn't be?). I see your point about the lay of the wire, looks like this one may have been done too short and wrong way about.

Any suggestions for a good supply shop in Sydney that could sort us out?

Thanks again,

Dave

We dont normally use the front stay wires when using a jib, being that the luff wire needs tension on it to keep it straight.  Suppose its not a bad idea to keep the cat rigged stay wires there in case you have a lib stay wire failure, but I dont even own a set of the cat rigged front stays.  As said the swivel needs to be lubricated clean and working, (I had an old one where the ball bearing were all squashed out of shape, it would not turn and my strop did the same as yours).  Looking at your picture I would suggest that you have the new strop made of 1/8 dia 1x19 stainless wire rather than the more flexy wire that is there. (1 x 19 is what is recommended for stays).  Whereabouts in Sydney?

Phil

Hi fellas, thanks for the further input. More knowledge is a good thing :)

I will check the bearings in the swivels, and might leave the front stays off (one less thing to setup/packup).

I am in the Hills District, but we usually sail either Lake Illawarra (my mate is in Narellan) or Port Hacking. Considering calling in to the Concord/Ryde Sailing Club as it is a shorter trip.

Dave

If you go to Concord/Ryde ask for Adrian.  We (Mannering Park) have a guy who comes from the hills district, he travels to Mannering Park every weekend to sail.  Used to be a man and sail a 14 foot cat but has now gone all soft and is sailing a taipan.  The 14 foot cat regatta is on this weekend, cheap accom in the scout hall.  You should look at coming up for a run.  Chance to see many different Maris with different set ups.  NSW dealer will be there he may even have a strop in stock.

Dave I'd give either Rob or Adrian a ring and arrange a time and day to meet there.  They both have little ones so may need the time to plan ahead.  Also it is good to know if you need to get there early if you are going to give someone a hand to tune their boat.  Too many times we turn up at thee club with only an hour to spare before the race starts only to find the guy who rang you 6 weeks ago about setting up his boat has today decided to front up to the club for rigging advice.  What to do, help the new guy or go for a race???????

Wise words Korwich, thanks. I will line up a weekend with my mate and co-owner, and contact the fellas.

Thanks mate.

Dave

Dave I'd give either Rob or Adrian a ring and arrange a time and day to meet there.  They both have little ones so may need the time to plan ahead.  Also it is good to know if you need to get there early if you are going to give someone a hand to tune their boat.  Too many times we turn up at thee club with only an hour to spare before the race starts only to find the guy who rang you 6 weeks ago about setting up his boat has today decided to front up to the club for rigging advice.  What to do, help the new guy or go for a race???????

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give some feedback on my visit to CRSC last weekend. What a friendly bunch! LOADS of monohulls, some paper tigers and a half dozen lovely Maricats! In my wisdom I left the jib strop pictured above on my desk at home, and an older gentleman (Gary?) loaned a whole jib to us so we could sail!

We will definitely be back, probably as members.  :)

Dave

Archived