Gippsland Lakes Y.C. Easter Regatta

Hi all,

Gippsland Lakes Y.C. will be hosting our annual Easter Regatta, Sat/Sun/Mon. Races include around Raymond Island Regatta with perpetual fastest time trophy and course races. I will be racing the FCA Blade F16 along with other locals on Mosquito's and Arrows. All welcome, if you want any info just ask here.

Club Site here. www.sailglyc.com

--------------------

Regards Gary.

Originally posted by mitchlb44:

Hi Gary,

I'll be there on a Stingray with Spin... I would desperately like to say that I would be competitive and perhaps we could have a slight tussle... But I am really just a novice sailor with a novice crew!

Perhaps I'll learn a thing or two though!

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

will be more than happy to see you come along, don't worry there is allways a variety of experience amongst the sailors at this regatta and we are happy to help those with less experience get faster.

Make sure you say hello.

Regards Gary.

Hi all,

well never believe a fore cast.

Saturday, around Raymond Island race winds where solid 25kts. gusting more and seas a very nasty 1m CHOP . Only 2 cats started with 5 heading back to shore after getting to the start area and pulling the pin after capsizes and breakages or just good sense .

I was on the FCA Blade and ahead off the start and most of the way beating, but after losing some time getting knocked off the side of the boat and ending up on the back beam 3 times, the Mosquito of Niel J fresh from winning the state titles took the lead, Neil sailed a longer course on the other side of the lake, trying to stay in flatter water and it payed off. Whilst chasing the Mossie on a tight reach I was knocked off the side again this time landing on the back beam on the leeward side, so a capsize followed. I recovered but there was know way to catch up I was flat out surviving.

Niel now holds the fastest time on record 54 mins. For interest there was also 2 Formula sailboards racing, but after starting a few minutes late the first one did catch me after I capsized, but was unable to keep up as I sailed deeper down wind and into the gusty straits. Next fastest craft on the day where Windsurfers.

Sunday, winds where much nicer , 5-12kts. Two 3 lap windward and return races where held, with the cat fleet being me on FCA Blade, "Altered" F16, Stingray with spinnaker, Peter N Mossie with spinnaker, 2 Arrows. FCA Blade lead both races start to finish also winning on Yardstick . What a difference a day makes.

Monday was a drifter Drifted to start line, where wind picked up enough for the FCA Blade to fly a hull under spinnaker, so course was layed, but wind died again. The race was abandoned after 3/4 of a lap completed, with the FCA Blade in the lead.

Overall regatta results gave the win to me on the FCA Blade with, Peter N on Mossie second and Mitch on Arrow third.

Thanks to visiting catsailors on Stingray from Melb.and F16"Altered" all the way from Canberra for visiting. Hope you got your boats sorted some more and look forward to seeing you back even faster next year.

Regards Gary.

Archived