Roller reef code 0 on windrush

Tony Barber

Has anybody tried to roller reef a code 0 sail onto wind rush 14 using bow sprit yet. I'm ordering a sail from hong Kong same size as asymmetric kite but with only 25cm depth rather than 50 on the kite. Looking at using nautos 91193 furler kit. This should make sail more usable at a higher angle to the wind than kite. Going furling option for single man operation as well as having the ability to run a semi reefed sail when weather picks up or running it as a second foresale on light days to windward.

Costing so far.

Furler <$200 delivered.

Sail same square meterage as kite $300 new

Bow sprit, yet to work out.

Blocks and cleats in my shed

What are your thoughts, suggestions.

I'm hoping it will be scary fast, and I'm hard to scare

Tony

dongaratv@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony, several of the guys in my social sailing group SEQHS have been playing with furling spinnakers. To date many of us have had some teething issues based on the furling side of the setup but overall positive results.

Many have cut their spinnakers down significantly changing them to more or less be oversized jibs. I run the largest spinnaker being an old code 0 on a Hobie 18 which was used during the old Hogs Breath 1000 days when they raced between Brisbane and Cairns. The code 0 is huge, has allow more shape than the flat cut ones used now and allows me to sail more dead-downwind. The biggest adaption I made for my setup to work was using anti torsion line which I purchased from a sail maker. It was $$$ but was the only way I could correctly furl the spinnaker neatly without it impacting on my upwind performance.

I use the Ronstan continuous line furler  RS006400R with an added/modded swivel to allow my tack to move 360o.

I have attached a photo of a recent trip to Moreton Island with the kite in full flight. The continuous line runs to the tramp where I can easily furl it up and the anti-torsion line makes this happen instantly even when underload.

15226461_10210132937175146_1811587866_n.jpg

Archived