Old Maricat owners with radical cut racing sails please help me

Krissy

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a poblem with getting a radical cut racing sail up a mast on a maricat? The bolt rope constantly wants to jump out of the slot on the mast and it is quite hard to pull up at times. I have given my mast a really good clean out and sprayed it with Lonox or is it Lanox. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i could fix this issue. Thanks

My old colourful sail went up like a dream. So would that then mean that my track is not worn?

It is very crisp the racing sail that I am trying out.

Thanks for your help both of you. I will get that silicon spray and I was also thinking of buying a sail feeder to see if that helps but I am worried it might get in the way

Eragon do you mean just try and put it up the mast alone when not put on my boat?

Krissy

clean the lanox out of sail track with boiling water and use a pencil folded in a rag as a pull through repeat as necessary before applying silicone also any corrosion or damage can be cleaned using pencil and sandpaper trick

when all is good step mast on cat but leave shrouds a bit floppy = straight mast till sail is up then tension rig

Ohhhh Aha now I get it. Bit of a pain as my yacht lives in a compound with mast up and ready to go. Think I might stick to my colourful shit floppy sail if this is what racing sails is all about. Thanks for your help. All the same. I will try your other ideas 1st and see if there are any changes. Thanks

If you lay your old sail on top of the race sail, you will see that there is more luff curve on the race sail (This curve gives the depth/power to the sail) your old coloured sail will be much flatter (Less depth/power) As Pointed Reply (Rod), has said, this extra curve causes extra friction between the mast and the front of the battens.

Some deep mains, (Usually for us fat boys) need the batten tensions adjusted after the sail is raised (i.e. lay the boat over to tension battens)

I have found that my race sail goes up easier if the mast is vertical (Beach wheels under rear of hulls)

The first third or so usually goes up ok.  Once there is tension you'll need three hands.  Two to hold both sides of the sails so that the bolt rope goes into the slot, the other hand is needed to pull the halyard.  

This is the point where you'll want an A Class because they usually just push the sail up the mast!!

Like the others say, before getting the sail up look up the mast.  It should be straight, if not then you will need to loosen the shrouds.  To do this, attach the halyard to the mainsheet and pull it so there is tension.  Then let the shroud off a hole.  Rinse, repeat.  Once the mast is straight then leave the shrouds be, they just need to be tight enough to hold the mast in its step.

Where abouts are you?

Thanks old Jimbo. Do you usually move the shrouds just one position back?

I sail and live close to Yarrawonga in Victoria.

Haa haa Pointed. How old is old? That could include me Haa haaaa Na jus old Maricats. I am guessing or hoping the new ones have a better design then my ancient Maricat.

Thinking of buying a sail feeder so I don't need 4 hands. Something like this https://www.google.com.au/search?q=sail+feeder+mast&tbm=isch&imgil=ZqKOUKa_xD-LcM%253A%253BQQoPxH7dQ0RyVM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.pinbax.com%25252Findex.asp%25253Fmc%2525253DSpars%25252526sc%2525253DMast%2525252520Fittings%25252526ssc%2525253DSail%2525252520Feeders&source=iu&pf=m&fir=ZqKOUKa_xD-LcM%253A%252CQQoPxH7dQ0RyVM%252C_&usg=__BNiNuUoFvc8tJwOmGBIOSxuCGgU%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjNvrSGou7VAhWIiFQKHSVwDJEQyjcIWw&ei=C--dWY2NLoiR0gKl4LGICQ&biw=1280&bih=907#imgrc=PC4_ki25YcNOxM:

But I am worried it might get in the way.

You don't need a feeder ....

Just make sure all the battens are popped the same way and have the boat pointing into the wind.

Age is not an issue with a Maticat - just the condition.

Old Jimbo sailed Sweet 16 which is the 16th Maricat built - 197something.

Won races and championships against new foam boats - but it had a good sail and gear ... and a good sailor !

Hmmm Dr Peter might be the previous owner of mine. He has a big yacht but at our club he crews on another large yacht. We only have 2 regular Maricaters. unfortunately. One other member has one he is a great sailor but we only see him once a year if we are lucky.

Yes we have regattas. From memory Anzac and Easter it will be.

Its a great spot hey. Very challenging. The winds always changing. Keeping us all on our toes. 

Ohh same as me but I am a young old fart haa haa at age 42. I don't think I will go to regatta this year maybe next year when I am a bit better. I make a fool of myself enough as it is. Not sure I need a bigger crowd. And a larger whipping would not be pleasant.

Don't be intimidated by the word "regatta".

These are not Olympic trials.

It just means of group of ordinary sailors with similar boats getting together to sail for (mostly) two days - Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

Sail maybe 5 or 6 short races in a variety of conditions without having to derig.

Most clubs have camping at the clubs and canteens so costs are a minimum.

With lots of time to chat, look at other boats, get advise - even sail other people's boats.

You will learn more in one weekend at a "regatta" than in a year of sailing by yourself.

Entry fees and prices are low - prizes are usually nominal - but at Griffith they give away lots of red wine ......... 

What no Southern Comfort. Haaa haaaa I wont have to worry about prizes at least for another few years.

That sounds great. Will give it some serious thought.

I gave up on the racing sail that I was going to buy. I tried everything you guys suggested and I also loosened off every batan just to see if that made a difference and once it got half way up the mast it was extremely tough to pull up any further, for a woman any how. I class myself strong for my breed but compared to a man I am weak. So best if I stick to my old floppy worn out rainbow sail that goes up the mast with one finger of pressure. It has actually scared me off getting another sail all together in case they are all that hard to get up the mast. Its a lot of money to spend on getting one made if that will happen again.I am spewing as the radical sail was awesome to sail with. Thanks for all your help any how.

Happy Sailing.

I have similar difficulties hoisting my racing mainsails.  My 1980 vintage all orange number hoists easily but is very slow upwind.  The suggestions above are all good.  In addition I am now using a much thicker halyard and a pair of leather work gloves to hoist the race sails. It is still not easy.  Mine are both cross-cut from Chris Cairns. Powerful sails with heaps of luff round.

just out of interest Krissy where you just heaving on the halyard? 

On the racing sails that I've had (cross cut and radial) what happens is that you get the sail halfway up as you describe, this is the easy bit.  When the design shape of the sail starts to form it puts a bend in the mast.  This means that you have to feed the bolt rope into the opening.  It's relatively hard because ideally you'd have a palm on each side of the sail acting as sail feeders AND pull on the halyard.  There's a sweet spot between the two but just pulling won't work.

I had an Eastwind cross cut sail which put a definite bend in the mast once it was fully up.  This is way different than the traditional stripy sails but the Eastwind was very quick and had a great shape.

I have thought about putting on those sail feeders and I just looked them up, this one: https://www.coastwatersports.co.uk/selden-composite-sail-feeder-p-2417.html?currency=AUD&gclid=Cj0KCQjwub7NBRDJARIsAP7wlT9xLYF5EGgAxO3NZgqYaxdyz2pYieauk9rNZwLuK37EEINNcI1XlJoaArfHEALw_wcB&utm_campaign=products&utm_medium=BaseFeed1&utm_source=GoogleBase1  looks quite interesting.  My Careel 18 had one that had two pieces that rivetted on either side of the mast the feeder balls were close enough to hold the bolt rope in place as you hoisted.

One thing to do with your "old floppy" is to undo the stitching at the clew of the sail.  This releases the bolt rope.  Let it ride up and put a small piece of rope into where it was.  Bolt ropes get very stiff with age and sometimes shrink which moves the shape of the sail back too far.  Doing this will give you a better chance of getting a better shape.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you say that I read this just after I finished sowing a new rope into the sail.

I have a friend that helps me and he is a frail old skinny fella he pulls on the halyard and I line her up with both hands and we struggle after half way. I love having a rake on my mast but because my old sail is so floppy the blocks hit each other so I cant go full throttle. Haa haaa Might take some tools to sailing after the race I might change where the block is on the boom hopefully this helps. If not is there a style of racing sail that I could get that wont be hard to pull up the mast? Would love to buy a 2nd hand one but if I have to get one made then so be it

Archived