Has anyone had experience with a soft patch on the deck?

Damianc

Hello,

I have a maricat that has a soft spot on top of one of the decks, about 30cm round and about 30cm in front of the front beam. The rest of the hulls/ decks seem fine. I am wanting to know if anyone has repaired something like this before without putting in an inspection port. It is not the gelcoat lifting, but rather a 'spongy' fibreglass feel. Pointed Reply thought that it may have suffered from something landing on it (mast or tree branch etc). I am now working out if it is worth repairing...

When you take the tramp off my cat, just behind the front beam there is a patch, very tough and would probably have been made in order to effect a repair.

I saw one of the gun windy sailors who had done the same except you couldn't see the repair at all.

If you cut a hole in the hull bear the top you could repair your soft spot and put the patch back quite effectively.

Your soft spot is odd for a Mari (Common on Hobies), It is a problem, particularly if you sail sloop rigged.

The bridle on sloop rigs, applies a twist load to the hulls, which usually causes cracking of the hull/deck join, on the inside, about 30 cm forward of the front beam.

Cat rigs, with twin forestays never have this problem.

Rodney may well have been correct in assuming impact damage. It is repairable., but will require surgery (Not involving a porthole/hatch)

It is a structural part of the hull. Give me a call on 02 43591729.

4 hours ago, darcy1945 said:

Your soft spot is odd for a Mari (Common on Hobies), It is a problem, particularly if you sail sloop rigged.

The bridle on sloop rigs, applies a twist load to the hulls, which usually causes cracking of the hull/deck join, on the inside, about 30 cm forward of the front beam.

Cat rigs, with twin forestays never have this problem.

Rodney may well have been correct in assuming impact damage. It is repairable., but will require surgery (Not involving a porthole/hatch)

It is a structural part of the hull. Give me a call on 02 43591729.

Thanks Darcy. I will give you a call in a few days time.

Archived