CAT WANTED

OLOCK

I have just joined the forum. need some feedback on a good cat for me. I grew up sailing Hobie 16's, Windrush 14's and a Bobcat. Now 56 and reasonably fit. Wondering what catamaran to buy to sail on Lake Macquarie. I will be wanting a cat for mainly one up sailing with the occasional sail with 2 on board. I'm 105kg and want to ensure that whatever i get can be righted by one person. I want at least one trapize and something fast and competitive to race if i want to join a club. So far i am thinking a Windrush 14, Hobie 14 Turbo or a Hobie 16. I am unfamilier with the Nacra range. Any feedback and suggestions would be much appreciated.

There are 3 local cat clubs, Toukley (Sail sundays) on Tuggerah Lk, and 2 on Lake Macquarie, Speers Pt and Mannering Pk, you should drop in on both clubs before you make any decisions. Both the Lake Mac clubs sail saturdays and details can be found on the net.

105kg is the upper limit for any of the 14s, so a 16 would probably be a wise choice, again advise from a club is suggested. Give me a call, 43591729 for info on Mannering Pk.

Thanks Darcy1945, ideally i would like to sail a Hobie 16, my mainconcern is righting it one handed in light air. Does your club have a range of boats that may suit. Also, if you know of any good boats on the market, let me know. Appreciate your reply. Thanks,

Have a look at a Nacra 4.5. Very good boat for 1 up sailing plus you can easily take another person. Furling jib for easy use.  Faster than windrush 14, hobie 14 etc  and often beats hobie 16 as well. Designed for crew weight of around 100kg. There is a face book group as well, Search Nacra 4.5 Community. 

I can vouch for the Taipan 4.9. (Just happen to have one for sale!) I've sailed it one up for 5 years and they are a very exciting boat. Sadly my local club is withering on the vine so have reluctantly decide to sell. Check out Gumtree or the Taipan association web sites for details of my boat.

• 2 weeks later...

OLOCK, Mannering Pk have a small fleet of Taipans, having owned one, I can vouch for their performance and versatility. They are a race bred boat, light and fast, and must be treated well or will cost you money. Again I would suggest you visit the local clubs before a purchase. At 73 and 97kg I now sail a cat rigged Mari 4.3 (Largest fleet at Mannering Pk) A good GRP Mari, race ready, cost about $2k, I have a spare you could have a play with, if you drop in.