WTB Maricat 4.3 Mast hound tang

Jish

Thanks pointed reply,  I gave them a ring today.  I was just wary of drilling extra holes in the mast. While you're there,  could you please tell me the standard distance from the mast head. I read somewhere that the hound should be lowered a little for lightweights like me at about 68kg.

You are not a lightweight at 68, I am 63 (years and kegs !!) and go ok (in lighter wind) and my hound is in the standard position. I’m not sure I know anyone who has lowered their hound position.

The “fat boys” always beat me in strong wind but the extra 20kgs hanging over the side makes a big difference.....

Most of the race boats have modified their mast step to allow the mast to rotate a bit more. This changes the air entry to the sail and allows the mast to bend more, which also flattens the sail. 

But first get your boat mechanically right, so things don’t break, tidy everything up and keep things as simple as possible. Have you replaced the dolphin striker wire - most important for this not to break ....... 

Queens Lake just south of Port Macquarie would be the closest club where a group of Maricats sail, if you need to check things out (once sailing gets going again in Spring).

Aah,  good to know I'm not too light for standard setup. It already has the mast base & rotation stoppers filed away. I plan on using the trapeze when I build my skills, likely once my local club (Richmond River Sailing Rowing Club) resumes sailing in September. I'm wary of learning trapeze solo without other boats around. In the mean time I've been gradually replacing old/broken bits. New dolphin striker done. New stays. I'm in the process of fairing & sanding the hulls & making some beach wheels. I'll be sailing with/against mostly Nacras up here. Ranging from 430 up to 5.8's. So not much to compare setup with. Queens Lake is about 6hrs south for me but if there's a multi day event I'd make the drive.

Cheers 

Jish

This is probably in the wrong section but .......

If you join the  “Sailing Buddies” Facebook group you will find out all that is happening with  Maricats. Also the Maricat webpage and fb page. Queens Lake has an annual regatta.

The Australian version of Sailing Buddies is administered by Mick Colecliffe and has lots of sailing stuff with a bit of a bias towards active cat sailing.

Minimum class weight for one up Maricat sailing is 73kg - but with club/social you can do what ever you like. Righting the boat for light weights is sometimes difficult. Sloop with trap is very nice but tricky to race while learning. I had a bad “tangle” experience during a windy race and decided to not use Trap while racing - so only race cat now - (Class min 63kg).

The newer single piece diagonal cut tramps are the go. None of the messy central lacing or gaps at the back for ropes to fall down. 

Useful info thanks. So far I mainly race for learning, fun & added safety of other boats & rescue boat. I'm still being lapped by everyone but like the challenge of an actual course to sail.  Great to have options of sloop,  cat etc though. I'll check out the sailing buddies group. Cheers