Windrush 14 Resto project ?

Hi Guys

I'm wondering if I could take on a restoration of a Windrush 14, not knowing very much overall about these famous boats, or sailboats in general ..
.. this would be a project with my 13 year old son, we are on the Central Coast in NSW between Sydney and Newcastle.

I'm wondering if I could get like an old style parts manual ( likely on line of course ) so I can identify what's missing and then go tracking things down.

Cost of the project might be an issue but perhaps there are second hand bits available?

Hulls look sound enough but we'll need all rigging, tillers, sails etc..so is this a viable project please.. your advice appreciated thanks..

Frank Vowles
0425 229 089

Hi Frank,   I am selling some old Windrush 14 parts.   1 a tramp Blue. need stitching but material still strong  And some  2 off rudders in stocks not complete.  Can send photos to your email address.  Location Brisbane north    Cheers Leon .   

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2020 at 9:26 AM, Frank Vowles said:

Hi Guys

I'm wondering if I could take on a restoration of a Windrush 14, not knowing very much overall about these famous boats, or sailboats in general ..
.. this would be a project with my 13 year old son, we are on the Central Coast in NSW between Sydney and Newcastle.

I'm wondering if I could get like an old style parts manual ( likely on line of course ) so I can identify what's missing and then go tracking things down.

Cost of the project might be an issue but perhaps there are second hand bits available?

Hulls look sound enough but we'll need all rigging, tillers, sails etc..so is this a viable project please.. your advice appreciated thanks..

Frank Vowles
0425 229 089

It isn't viable from an economic perspective- you are better off buying a new one money wise. If you want to help your son develop some skills in fiberglass and get an interest in boat building, I think its a great idea- many levels and layers to it, you could tart one up to make it work well enough for sailing a lake safely or you could try to make it as new- to learn professional level skills for building up to bigger and maybe better things. The trouble will be how it long it takes and if the young bloke will stay interested, kids like to throw spears before learning to make them.  I would say a catamaran isn't the easiest boat to fix up, a mono is a lot simpler and quicker to work on- it maybe better to sail a new windy14' while doing up a easier boat to work on- like a dingy sailor, will be less materials and less work to get a workable result. The trick to youngen's is keeping them focused, idiot distractions are everywhere these days.