Earthmovers Classic Distance race 2011, Lacepede Bay Sailing Club

madboutcats

G'day here’s some early info on the Earthmovers distance race to be held in Kingston SE South Australia by the Lacepede Bay Sailing Club April 16th 2011.

This three lap buoy race will cover approximately 25km per lap Competitors will head 5km SE to the Pinks beach drain then approximately 10km to 13km (depending on the wind) North before heading 5 to 8km back to the club for each lap. Competitors will pass through the finish line on each lap to ensure there is a result, there will be handicap winners for the smaller cats that only complete one or two laps. The only obstacles on the course are a jetty and breakwater, at any other point competitors with breakages can pull up on the sandy beaches to await pickup. Kingston SE is protected by Margaret Brock reef about 10km out with all sailing inside the reef there is no surf, rocks or big waves only wind chop.

This race is open to catamarans, mono hulls, kite surfers and windsurfers. The 2009-10 race’s included F18 Infusion, Nacra 5.8’s, A Classes, 5.7 Taipans, 4.9 Taipans, F16’s, Stingray's big and little rigs, Mozzie, Cobra's with spinnakers, Arrow's and Weta trimaran.

Cost for the race is $30 a senior boat, junior entry fee is $5 a boat. We will provide a great inexpensive tea with generous serves at the club on Saturday night, the canteen will be open for lunches and snacks. The bar will be open with good prices and there is no BYO alcohol.

Sailing will start as early as possible subject to wind but not before 10.30am

Competitors are welcome to camp next to our club rooms for the night at no cost and use the club showers, toilets etc. This is not a proper camping ground so we can’t make too much noise late at night.

. There is a great caravan park and motels etc for those that want more of the comforts of home, so drink is cheap the food is inexpensive but good and we look forward to having a great time with you. Non sailing families will be easy to keep entertained; the kids can play at the club or the beach which is very safe, no rips or surf waves. There are big tractor tubes; cricket sets etc to keep the kids happy.

More information on facilities

Competitors are welcome to sleep in our clubrooms on the floor on Saturday night if you don’t want to pitch a tent at the clubhouse. Don't plan on getting to sleep early though.

We will mow a section of grass just south of the clubhouse suitable to pitch a tent on, in amongst some bushes that's far enough from the club to get some sleep.

Kingston Caravan Park 87672050 is very neat and has some en-suite cabins

Lacepede Bay Motel 87672444 is on the foreshore near the jetty and is highly recommended.

Lobster Motor Inn 87672322 is near the Big Lobster on the highway and is well maintained.

Crown Inn Hotel 87672005 Clean pub accommodation

Royal Mail Hotel 87672002 Clean pub accommodation

Mobil 190 roadhouse 87672419 has cheap rooms on the highway (has been tidied up)

Ray White Real Estate 87672200 manage bookings for beach house rentals and are easy to deal with.

Our clubhouse is 285km from the tollgate on Glen Osmond Rd it will take about 3 hours drive, straight down the freeway, turn right after Tailem Bend, and straight down to Kingston SE via the Coorong. Once in the town take a photo of the Big Lobster then turn right just after you cross the bridge and you will be in the main street, go to the roundabout turn right, go to the end of the road your now on the foreshore next to the Lacepede Bay Motor Inn. Turn left about 4km down you'll find the clubhouse, the only building on the foreshore. Were 5 1/2 hours drive from Melbourne and you can take a photo of the Big Koala on the way.

I will post updates with our expected weather closer to the sailing date, the 2010 race was in light wind, the 2009 race was a 10km spinnaker run on each lap with some two on the wire moments between 14-17 knots on flat water with the breeze dropping out late in the day so we are starting earlier to maximize the racing. The 2008 race was around 17 knots in two foot chop, we’re a small club but we'll go out of our way to make you welcome.

For more details or to enter you can post a message here or contact Jeff Southall on 0427 660106 or send a message to jeffsouthall@yahoo.com.au

• 5 months later...

3 laps Johnny. Each time you complete a lap, you pass through the finish line. Reason is, if you decide to pull out because you have broken the boat( again) or run out of time, at least you will still have a time. I believe that there are prizes awarded for 1 lap,2 laps and 3 laps. I could be wrong. Jeff is the man to confirm the finer things

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder there's less than a month to go before our marathon race day and the next day, Sunday the 17th of April we race at Rivoli Bay sailing club which is 45 minutes drive South of the club, the winner on handicap of both days gets the Southern Ports Trophy. Will be a great weekend of sailing

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jeff for metioning the Rivoli Bay SC leg of the Southern Ports Regatta. Rivoli Bay (Southend) has great protection from the open sea so most of the time it is flat water with a good breeze.

This day is also incorparated in with the clubs breakup day, so there will be a party atmosphere happening and the view from the balcony drinking a beer/wine is sensational.

As far as meals and catering goes we have to have a meeing soon to decide and will let you know ASAP.

Looking forward to the weekend Jeff, count me in for the weekend and I'll let you know asap on the rest of the club.

thats the polan but dont tell nod just yet, if i get a good result on the saturday, ill have a crack at the regatta trophy, it will also depend on if sam wants to sail sunday and get home late, his elliot 7.8 has been out of the water for awhile now so im sure his feet will be fairly itchy.

Brian I can lend you a Sunday crew if you shout me a beer on Saturday night. Just a note to anyone who hasn't booked accomodation we have a club member with a house in Kingston with 6 single beds and a double available, just need to shout him a beer, can use them for Friday and Saturday night. Just a reminder that the BBQ for early arrivals is at my house as usual on Friday night, you can come for tea or drinks.

Archived