H16 One Up

Emmessee

• 2 weeks later...

I have sailed an H16 with SPI one up in 10 - 15 knts off Belmont 16's. There easy enough to sail one up and I've seen it done at Toukley in 20knts with jib and main.

I have photos of me standing on the spi pole in front of the jib, under spi, jib and main in around 4knts off Kiel in Germany.

Were you thinking of buying one for the hell of sailing one up?

• 1 month later...

I only weigh about 150 lbs, and I have sailed a H16 in 20+ knots with the main and jib. But, the real problem is once it starts to go, I could not bring it back with my weight. And I could not right it either. But it sure sails a dream with no weight on it. I think a H17 is a better bet. I had one of those too.

Geoff.

Oh, I meant to say the only time I ever sailed without the jib was in storm conditions. I don't know how hard the wind was blowing, it was so hard the sand off the beach was actually painful. I would guess over 40 knots. We sailed 2 up, and it was impossible to come about except gybing, and the main sure flew round. I don't think its much fun without the jib. Too hard to tack.

Geoff.

MSC, what exactly was the point of your post other than to draw attention to your recent purchase?

The Hobie 16 is a two-up boat that makes mince meat of most other 16 footers.It is obviously even quicker one-up in light breeze. How it can be slower that your 4.5 beats me.

I prefer to find a friend and go sailing two-up. Its safer.

And the fact I have no friends makes one up sailing a must.

I would have loved a 5.8 or 16 myself but finding a crew and having a young family makes it hard to commit to one of the other so I enjoy the fact I can sail alone. But I do agree, two up is just totally sensational in a strong wind living on the edge.

The boys from BCC have beaten 5.8's with the 4.5, and just in my experience there was an H16 out the day I went in about 10 knots and the 4.5 was marginally quicker.

In a breeze though an H16 is as quick as many bigger boats and a blast to sail.

Archived